Monday, February 4, 2008

Pipe Cleaners

For this week's Unplugged Project, I did something a little different: I gave absolutely no direction whatsoever on what to do, how to do it, or even that we were "doing something".

I opened a pack of pipe cleaners and placed them on the boys' craft table. That's it. I let them find them and play with them throughout the week. Granted there are pipe cleaners all over my house now, but they had fun for many days. Here are some of the "projects" I found around the house this morning:

The number 5



I don't know, but it is obviously "something"



I thought a ribbon to tie a package, but
Will told me later that it was an ice skate.



I actually do know what this is because Will had these all over his fingers one day!
Rings.


There are a BUNCH of these around...
maybe
Snakes, snails, and puppy dog tails?
That's what little boys are made of...


Will told me this is a
HUMAN
Both Will and Nathan took scissors to the pipe cleaners as well!

And I'm guessing this is a
strawberry or an apple?

Nope. Will says it is the number 6!
I see it now!

I don't know what everything is, but they certainly used their imagination and I loved this project! Hop on over to Unplug Your Kids for more pipe cleaners!

post signature

10 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

It is great to see the different things that they come up wth. They did a wonderful job showing their creativity on this.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I love these each week. I have to get in on this! What a great way to do it.

Claire said...

I think it's great to just let them go for it. I worry that I sometimes intervene too much in their creative process. I love HUMAN! Very cool.

Jenny said...

Sometimes the most fun we have is when I just let my daughter go for it with something. And when she has as much fun as your boys did with the pipe cleaners, the mess is worth it! I love all the different things they came up with!

Unknown said...

How fun! I often have trouble some of my daughters' artwork. This allows them to express their own creativity, and are not forced to "color inside the lines."

Risa said...

My kids love pipe cleaners as well and they are 7 and 8! I let them have a package of them a year ago and I still find them tucked in the corners of their toy boxes or doll clothes!

Tamara said...

Neat what kids come up with when left to their own devices. They probably get tired of us dictating everything they do!

laurel said...

I will definitely have to try this one, Caed would love it! Thanks for the great idea!

Garden State Kate said...

I love that you left it up to them!
We have the most fun that way!

Anonymous said...

I always think it is so fun to just let kids do what they want sometimes. You took it one step farther and didn't even mention that they HAD to do something! Simply leaving them out on the table was a wonderful idea. And look what they came up with...the "human" is my favorite!

By the way, thanks for the link to the dress form idea. I didn't delete it because it gave me such a laugh!