Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Try It Tuesday: Radicchio




While I have had radicchio in small quantities on salads, I have never had one that used it as the main lettuce. While reading through Nourishing Traditions, I found a salad that sounded delicious and was already dairy-free, egg-free, and peanut-free! Just in case Witt would be interested in trying it, I wanted it to be a viable option for him to do so. (No luck, though.)

Here's a brief rundown on radicchio:

  • Low in saturated fat
  • No cholesterol
  • High in dietary fiber
  • High in iron
  • High in manganese
  • High in magnesium
  • High in pantothenic acid
  • High in phosphorus
  • Very high in potassium
  • High in vitamin B6
  • Very high in vitamin C
  • High in zinc

This salad is topped with orange slices, browned red onions, and a homemade orange dressing. It was very good and I will definitely be making it again! I will most likely increase the amount of onion and oranges to make sure I get a taste of each with every bite. While the radicchio alone is bitter, the flavor combination in this salad was just delicious! Jeff liked it also and said that he would like for me to make it again (and agreed with my thoughts of more onion).

Due to copyright restrictions, I cannot reproduce the recipes here.

If you have the book, Nourishing Traditions, it is on page 181 (Radicchio and Orange Salad). If you don't have the book... well, you really should! It is a fascinating read and filled with delicious, nutritious recipes! :)

Are you trying anything new this week?


post signature

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That salad look very yummy!!! I will have to look into that book!!! I love new cookbooks!!!

Donielle @ Naturally Knocked Up said...

I've never thought fruit would taste good on a salad, but maybe one day I should give it a try huh? I'll have to dig out my NT book and look it up!
Thanks!

laurel said...

That sounds really good! I will have to give it a try! Hmmm, new this week...I am thinking about trying my hand at making ice cream cones. That's about the only "new" thing I have planned...we are eating LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies, cooked all different ways (or raw). I LOVE this time of year!

Jessica said...

Yum Yum Yum. I'll have to try it!