Monday, February 20, 2012

What Do I Like?




I have been gone from the blogoshpere for a long time.  I really haven't had much that I wanted to share, honestly.  Life hasn't been a bed of roses and life at my house is changing.

The boys are older (4 1/2, 5, and 9).  They are much more self-sufficient.  They are all potty-trained and sleep through the night.  Their reliance on me is significantly less than it used to be.

I find myself wondering what to do with myself.  Who am I? What do I like or want to do for me?

I have defined myself as a "mom" for so long that I don't know who I am outside of that.

I do know that I am a person that likes to know a little about a lot of things (hence the quote above).  I've always been that way.  I've always enjoyed gaining little bits of random knowledge and experiences. I can say I've seen a Texas-sized mosquito in Texas, eaten New England clam chowder in New England, eaten shark, squid, and escargot. I've made my own mayonnaise and read the extremely long (and boring) book David Copperfield.  I've worked in Direct Sales and started scrapbooks for each of the boys. This random list could go on and on.

I'm also one that has had to *prove* that I could do something, even if I didn't enjoy it... hence the Chemical Engineering degree.

Many times I do something one time and that's enough. Once I've learned about it, I'm ready to move on to something else.

Very few new projects stick with me past a year.

Granted, we still recycle, compost, and use our green bags. I still make my own Cream of Mushroom soup every time a recipe calls for it and I still make my own vanilla extract. We're also in our 3rd year of homeschooling and Cub Scouts.

I guess I just like to learn about something, pick and choose what I want to keep in my life and move on, but I never become an *expert* on anything.

I think I'm okay with that, though.  

Right now, I've got the tools to teach myself to crochet and I'm learning more about using essential oils. (Referral # 1296503 if you want to order, btw). I'm also really enjoying the book The Dinosaur Delusion right now.

I've got plenty going on, but I just can't say that I have a certain hobby or something special that interests me.

Maybe I'm what they call a perpetual student?

I've been gone so long from blogging, I don't know that I have any readers that have made it to the end of this post. But if you have...

What your hobbies or do you relate more to the perpetual student idea?

 Thanks for sharing. I really do look forward to your thoughts on this!



post signature

1 comment:

sharplittlearrows said...

My hobbies include sewing and light photography. I love the idea of gardening but know the effort it would take is not possible in my current season. Lately, I have been VERY passionate about learning rebuttals to evolution and atheism. I guess my obsession with it comes from the thought that someday my sons might have to suffer at the hands of Godless people. That, and the great commission. It saddens me to see the darkness that people cling to. I have been praying for God to show me where I can work and lead me to a service that will bring Him glory. Nice post.
One of these days, I'm going to pick your brain/bend your ear about motivating my reluctant learner. The past few weeks have been trying for us both!