Monday, December 15, 2008

Will Leads Singing

We had our annual Youth-Led Worship Service last night. Will was one of many young men that had the opportunity to lead. He chose to lead the song Step by Step and I am such a proud mama!



Step by Step

Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you
Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you
I will seek you in the morning
And I will learn to walk in your ways
And Step by step you lead me
And I will follow you all of my days.



Why Are There No Musical Instruments That Accompany Your Singing?

In short, because we can’t find them in the New Testament. There is no command from Jesus to use instruments in worship. There are no examples of Christians in the New Testament using them in their worship. Mentions of instruments in the Old Testament (such as in the Psalms) are not our standard today (we don’t continue to offer animal sacrifices either). Whenever we do see music mentioned in the context of worship within the New Testament the Bible only mentions singing.


Ephesians 5:19

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.

Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,


Colossians 3:16

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.


Just reading the New Testament by itself, with no prior assumptions, leaves us with no indication that God has asked for, wants, or accepts anything musically other than our singing together to Him. (Borrowed from here, although it's not where I attend.)

post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have reason to be proud--He did a wonderful job.

I've heard of this view on instruments in worship, but have never met anyone who held it. I'm curious, do you think using instruments in worship is wrong or do you just not use them in corporate meetings because you don't per-say "have to"?

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Hey Beka! I am a proud mama! Thank you! :)

In answer to your question and trying to also keep it brief, although I am up for further discussion, I'll just say that it's not because we don't "have to", it's because we aren't instructed to.

In striving to follow His word in truth and in spirit, it seems improper to add something to worship that God did not specifically mention.

There are examples in the Bible of acts of worship that were not done to God's specifications resulting in condemnation and/or death. It is so important to take God at His word and not add to it.

Personally, I've always been curious where the scriptural basis for including instruments in New Testament worship comes from.

Any thoughts? :)

P.S. This was certainly not meant to be a condescending or a finger-pointing comment. With such a serious topic of worship, it is hard to have "conversation" through just written word and no body language to accompany it. So if this comment comes across rudely, please re-read with the caring attitude I wanted it to possess. :) Thanks!

Unknown said...

I could just picturing you smiling from the congregation. How sweet.

I read the comments and I don't agree, but respect your interpretation. I think really, when it all comes down to it, God is less concerned about whether we use instruments or not in worship and more concerned with how we're worshiping Him in our daily life by our thoughts and actions. Just my take.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying, Becky.

I guess my thoughts have been that instruments in worship were acceptable in the Old Testament, and since nothing in the New Testament says that they are no longer acceptable, they must still be.

Of course, there are some things from the Old Testament that are no longer acceptable (like animal sacrifices--because Hebrews says that Christ's sacrifice was once for all and that no other sacrifice is needed.) Other things that were requirements in the Old Testament are no longer required (such as the dietary laws and circumcision)--although these were not forbidden (Paul had Timothy circumcised, for example).

And don't worry--I didn't feel like you were being preachy or rude. Now it's my turn to say the same thing--I'm not trying to be rude either ;-)

Super B's Mom said...

First of all Becky - I LOVE AND ADMIRE YOU!! ((((HUGS))))

I am so touched by the video - you are raising that little man SO WELL. I am just so proud of him myself, that I could just cry!!

And on the instruments part - I first attended a Southern Baptist church as a young child...then Pentocostal Holiness when I was in my early teens. So when I met Dan, I didn't know what to think about the Church of Christ's worship.

But now...on Sunday mornings - there's just something about the sound of only voices being lifted up to God. It gives me chills even today. :)