Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Opening Doors

While washing down the table, I somehow slipped and hit my arm on the table. Of the four males in the kitchen with me, only one of them said, "K?" Which I replied, "Yes, mama's okay. Thank you for asking, Witt." :)

Then came the extra bit of information... something that will take them all far in relationships...if they would just listen...

Me: Want to know a secret? [The word "secret" promptly got Will and Nathan's attention]

Me: Girls like it when boys ask if they are ok. It makes them feel special. You know what else girls like? They like it when you open and hold a door for them.


No comments from the peanut gallery; they all went back to eating. No big deal. Hmff.

HOWEVER...

Two days later, while helping Nathan get dressed, I told him that we needed to hurry because mommy needed to go potty. (Yes, apparently I announce this to my boys.) Anyway... Immediately after I told this to him, he got his pants on and said with a bright smile on his face,

"Me open door for you!"

He ran to my bedroom, but the door was already open. He looked so disappointed and said, "Oh no." I looked at him and said, "How about we shut the door so you can open it for mommy?" He liked the idea and so we did.

I thanked him kindly and as I was walking toward the master bathroom, I told him I would be out in a minute.

I heard, "Okaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy" as he was running back down the hall to find his tractor and go back to playing.

Maybe they do listen after all! :)

post signature

7 comments:

bekahcubed said...

Too sweet! I suppose there is hope for the next generation--perhaps there will be a few gentlemen amidst the crowd.

laurel said...

Very sweet!! I am always surprised at how much they hear when we don't think they are listening. A few weeks ago, during church, Landing was whining and rolling around on the floor, climbing all over me, etc. When the Pastor unexpectedly mentioned Landing by name during the sermon, Landing sat bolt up in his seat and said "he said my name!! He said Landing!!". I didn't think he had been paying attention.

Mouseymom said...

a gentleman in training! Good job MOM!

Jessica said...

How adorable. Good job momma!

Anonymous said...

Suca sweet story! They do listen - at least sometimes! ;-)

Super B's Mom said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! SO PRECIOUS!! SEE - I told you that you're an awesome mom! :)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Seriously - what a great idea to begin planting those thoughts in their minds. That is awesome!

Hope your week is going well.