Saturday, January 9, 2010

Resolutions: Make It Yourself Foods

There are a few foods that I want to learn how to make this year, many of which have to do with fermenting. For more information on why/how fermented foods are good for your digestion, a good place to start out would be at Food Renegade or for a little more in-depth article on lacto-fermentation (which does not necessarily contain dairy, btw) visit The Weston A. Price Foundation.

To make life easy, I'm just going to list out some of the foods I want to learn how to make at home this year.

[EDIT - I knew there were some things I forgot! I also want to try recipes and find a family favorite for:

  • spaghetti sauce
  • salsa
  • tomato sauce
  • mayonnaise
  • Alfredo sauce
I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting, but this is a good starting place! :) End EDIT.]

Another exciting thing I get to do this year will be to grind my own grain!!! Remember I said Santa was good to me? Well... boy was he ever!! I received a Nutrimill for Christmas!! I've got a 25 pound bag of organic, soft white wheat berries ready to go as soon as I recover from the hustle and bustle of the holidays! (Hopefully any day now! LOL!) Maybe I'll start with some soaked waffles! :) YUM!

I think there's going to be lots of *science* experiments going on in my kitchen this year! Can't wait for the fun to start!

post signature

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't wait to see your experiments!

Sourdough is on my list to try this year too. I'll make sure to let you know if I have any success!

Andrea said...

NT is our goal by the end of this year - Gut&Psychology Syndrome diet to heal sensitivites so that we can eat nourishing raw yoghurt & soaked fermented sourdough, etc.

Through the year I WILL teach the kids to eat saurkraut, beet kvass, fermented veggies, & fermented pickles (I buy these from a farm but have made the saurkraut before). They love Kombucha but I still have to succeed at a batch of that - lol!

I do also love "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" - great coconut recipes. Coconut oil seems to work wonders for my kids and always makes their eczema flair ups go away when I increase their dose.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey Becky, You may want to try www.breadbeckers.com for your grain. It is most cost efficient and you can start a quarterly co-op...depending on where you live. They sell everything in bulk or by the pound, even legumes and a variety of other grains...a great many are organic too...
they are around atlanta but fun to go to the classes but I love ordering quarterly. The grain comes in 5 gallon sealed buckets. Just a thought.
Dianna