Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Words I Have Longed to Hear



"Nay go potty."


Not as in "Nathan needs to go potty" but as in "Nathan went potty."

As in ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

He went to the potty, unzipped his pjs, pulled down the night-time diaper (which was dry), peed in the potty, pulled up the diaper, zipped up his pjs, and flushed. Then promptly came to tell me that he had gone. He probably would have washed his hands, too, if he could have reached the faucet!

YIPEEE!!! HORRAY!!! We are well on our way to fully potty-trained!!!

Here's how we did it... if you don't want to talk poop and pee, stop right now. :) Just sayin'...

I had intended on really hitting the training hard last summer, but he (and Witt) were diagnosed with Toddler's Diarrhea. I won't go into the details except to say - lots of diapers and it can last until they are around 4 years old (Nathan was 31 months then and is 38 months now). So, with the lack of control in that area we didn't really focus much on the toilet because... well, just because. :P

With improvement on his end (pun intended! HA!), I decided that Winter Break would be a good time to start the training while we were focusing on changing habits anyway. We removed the changing table from his room to make it harder to change diapers and making us put him on the potty more. Then we ditched the pull-ups (except at night) and I set the timer for every two hours during the day.

Every two hours we went to the potty. I always sat him on the potty in hopes of catching him at the right moment for #2, too. And we did... lots of times! In fact I think there were only four dirty accidents those two weeks.

Nathan has been in big boy underwear during the day since then. After talking with his preschool teachers, they agreed that I could send him to school in big boy underwear, too. He had an accident the first day I sent him in underwear, but he's been doing great ever since!!!

I've got 1 1/2 bags of pull-ups left. I think we'll finish out the 1/2 bag at night just to be on the safe side, although he's been dry every night for about a month now. The other bag is going to get exchanged for a 2T for Witt to grow into.

Not buying pull-ups is going to help the grocery budget, too!

I love this part of potty training! :)

post signature

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for your ds! Love that pic, it's priceless. :)

Meagan said...

Share all your secrets..Congrats I'm so excited for you guys..I need tips with Emerson you would think with two older brothers he would want to go, but know he refuses!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

WOO HOO! rock on!

I gotta boy to train in a few months...should be interesting.

Happy TTT

Linda! said...

Go Nathan! We are cheering you on here at Baby Signs,Inc.