Saturday, May 24, 2008

Organizing Roundup: Kids


For this month's Organizing Roundup, I tackled the kids' toys. Each boy has their own room with their personal toys in it and then there is the sunroom with the shared toys. This is the best before picture I could find as I forgot to take one in my excitement of getting started on the toys. (seriously)


Granted, the boys are playing in the picture, but it shows a good representation of how the toys don't have "homes". I fixed that and now we have no more homeless toys! Yippee Skippy!

I liked April's comment from this post at Org Junkie's place stating that she has six bins that divide the toys. She takes a bin out each day. I thought that was a really great idea. So far, I've just divided the toys into bins and allow the kids to play with what they want; but now there is no question as to where the toys need to go when it's time to clean up!

Here are the bins for: Thomas the Train, trucks & trains, bowling, tools, hats, and the animal train. (Yes, we like trains.)



Here are containers for puzzles, coloring books, and colors/markers/pipe cleaners. These are sitting on the craft table.


Here's the shopping cart and pretend food next to the building blocks and wagon.


I touched every toy in our house. They aren't all shown here (gasp! I know!), but these bins have made a tremendous difference in keeping the house clean. Thanks for the idea, April!

[Side note: For those of you who left comments on what color I should paint my kitchen/dining room, you can see the new color here. Jeff and I agreed with the anonymous commenter that the kitchen really didn't need a "striking" color. I love the results. Thanks for all the suggestions! Your helpfulness is much appreciated!]

Visit Org Junkie for more on organizing kids' stuff!

post signature

9 comments:

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

look super!

Amy V. said...

Great job! Don't bins make dealing with toys so much easier? ;)

Stephanie Kay said...

Well done! I must have read that same comment because I've started putting all our toys it tubs also. We have one for Thomas stuff and we have that same Duplos wagon. = )

Anonymous said...

that looks fantastic, my kids are 7,8 & 9 now and i remember how the house can be covered in toys in ni time with 3 kids when they are all little...and how nice it looks when they are all kept together...i always found once they were all sorted - the kids actually play with the toys - but when they are all scattered - they dont know what to play with. I also used the technique of putting some toys up in a cupboard and then rotating them every month or so... good job!! i hope you can reward yourself now :)love Sonja

mom2triplets04 said...

Great job with your toy tackle. I started mine but I sure do have a ways to go.

Anonymous said...

Great job! It is much easier to be able to put toys in the proper bins and containers. :)

Anonymous said...

Good job containerizing. And I LOVE your new kitchen color!

Dawn said...

I think the bin make a huge difference with toys. My kids love all of their different bins and containers that organize their toys.

Laura said...

Hey Becky! Love your toy system, great idea! My son is crazy for trains too :)

Your kitchen looks awesome too by the way!

Laura