Monday, June 2, 2008

Painting Breakfast

This week's Unplugged Project is Painting. I found this idea in The Toddler's Busy Book. Nothing is easier than on hand supplies and easy clean-up!

The paint is made from two tablespoons of milk (soy milk at my house) and about 4 drops of food coloring. (I don't have anything against red food coloring (although some do); we just didn't have any in the house.)


Using clean paintbrushes, the boys painted their toast!



Their finished masterpieces:

(Will asked me to cut off the crust before he ate it. I've found that if I cut off the crust he actually eats more of his bread than if I don't.)

Cleaning up after the project:




Check out more paintings at Unplug Your Kids and join us next week for Sticky.


post signature

18 comments:

Julie said...

very fun indeed!

laurel said...

What a GREAT idea!!! I am definitely going to have to do that. Do you like the Toddler Busy Book? I have had the Preschool busy book in my amazon cart for a few days, but haven't decided whether to get it or not. Do you enjoy the one ya'll have? Is it worth the money?

reprehriestless warillever said...

So much fun!

I have the kids paint sugar cookies with a milk/confectioners sugar glaze.

They LOVE doing it.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Totally GREAT activity, but I couldn't eat blue toast.

Gottfredsen said...

very good idea i will have to try that with my little brother.

Tamara said...

Oh Neat! Thanks for sharing a fun idea. We'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a neat idea. We will have to try that too!

iMother2.0 said...

blue toast! a wonderful addition to green eggs & ham :)

Anonymous said...

Neat idea . . . I wonder if you could substitute the food color with grape jelly or another color - maybe even fruit juice.

(The color idea is great, but I have to be a fuddy duddy because two of my boys are sensitive to food coloring - it makes me crazy at times, I find I have to think harder to find a substitute.)

What consistency should the "paint" be to make this work?

Becky Jo said...

Monster toast is what we did for our "painting" too! How fun!!

Michie said...

This idea crossed my mind for painting too - another one I've been meaning to try. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Garden State Kate said...

Oh, my little P used to love that..I didn't have a pic still on the computer to post today. So much fun!!

Unknown said...

This looks like a great little "project." My son loves toast. We will try it and report back! ; )

(that is if I remember!!)

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun. I know my three would love it! I like the "clean-up photos!"

BTW, I know what you mean about crusts and them eating more without. What is it about kids and crusts?

Enjoy your evening and thanks for joining us!

Anonymous said...

What a yummy project! I wonder if it would work on tortillas? They actually sell crustless loaves here in Taiwan...

Super B's Mom said...

You're such a cool mom. :)

GeonHui's Bakery said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Very cool!