Thursday, January 1, 2009

Simply Resolutions


I just want to get some things down "on paper" regarding my 2009 resolutions, goals, and aspirations.


In no particular order...


PERSONAL

1. Lose 3 lbs each month. I can do that, right?

2. Stop using bottled water at home. It's expensive and wasteful. It's convenient for travel, but not necessary at home.

3. Reduce soda intake to 1 or less per week.

4. Learn how to use my new camera! (Canon Rebel XS)

5. Continue weekly lunch date with Jeff.

6. Blog less and without obligation ... Live more. :)


FAITHFULNESS

1. Get up early for personal bible reading and/or prayer. (still working on this... 5:30 comes too soon!)

2. Continue with the online bible study.

3. Have at least a weekly devotional of some sort with the boys. (What do you do? I'm looking for suggestions!)

4. Pray at least once daily that Witt will outgrow his allergies.


PARENTING

1. Continue being consistent with the boys in discipline. This has worked wonders!

2. Encourage Will and Jeff to do a "boys night out" at least once a quarter.

3. Continue training the boys to do chores and help as a part of the family.

4. Reduce the number of times I ask Will to stop talking and try harder to answer more of his questions. (Multiple obscure "What if?" questions break me d..o..w..n...)

5. Complete Nathan's potty-training.

6. Read more books / watch less tv. (another ongoing battle)


NUTRITION

1. Reduce the amount of soy milk we use by at least half and start drinking more rice and almond milk. Too much of anything is not good.

2. Along the same lines... learn how to use different kinds of cooking oils - grapeseed, coconut, etc. I mostly just use olive and vegetable.

3. Incorporate more whole wheat flour and wheat germ in recipes. I currently substitute about 1/8 - 1/4 of the white flour with whole wheat in most recipes.


FINANCES

1. Update last year's budget.

2. Save for the boys' education.

3. Open a savings account. (If I don't see it in the checking account, I'll be less apt to spend!)

4. Stick to my grocery budget. I'm shooting for $125 a week or less to include all groceries, diapers, wipes, toiletries, cleaners, OTC medications, and paper products. Based on some of the frugal blogs out there, this should be totally doable!

5. Start looking into what it's going to take to build a house out in the country.


So that's about it. Some of it is very measurable, some quite vague. But they are mine and that's what I have time to write down right now. :)

Wishing everyone a fantastic 2009!


post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, WHAT A LIST!!! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I like Personal #6: "Live more" Such an important thing--and so easy to forget when we're up to our necks in laundry and sick and tired of PEOPLE and ready to throw in the towel (not that I'm speaking from experience *tongue in cheek*)

But I'm sure 2009 will be wonderful--whether or not all the goals are accomplished.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Julie ~ Yes, I know it's a long list, but really it's just a bunch of little things that only require small changes. (thankfully!) Also, a lot of it is "fun" stuff - like learning to use my camera and incorporating new things into cooking (I love experimenting!).

It's the big ones under FINANCES that I'm concerned about! I have such a hard time sticking to my budget!!! UGH. :) Oh, and losing 3 lbs a month... that will inevitably become a huge challenge. :P

Bekacubed ~ "Live more" is one of my hugely vague resolutions. I am really focusing on being more involved with the kiddos instead of being in front of the computer for a good chunk of the day.

P.S, Bekah ~ Just throw the towel in the laundry, get sick on the people so they'll leave you alone and then you can jump in bed to take care of the tiredness... LOL! :) jk.

Super B's Mom said...

I love the "boys night out" idea. That's so important!!

Great list, girl!

Totallyscrappy said...

The bottled water thing... It is just so darn convienent to open one at home! We just refill 'em. I've also quit buying the littl juices for the boys' lunches and they are having a small water bottle, but I refill it from home.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great list!
Care to update on how any or all of them are coming along?
Thanks for sharing (blogging)- I know the agenda is to live more and blog less, but using the blog as a tool, as a kind of 'accounting' is a good thing.

~Illoura