Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kindergarten is OVER!!!

Hallelujah! We made it through the first year of public school! This year certainly was not what I was expecting or wanting for our first experience of public schooling, but at least the end of it was fun! LOL!

Tuesday of this week was awards day and all of the kindergartners were awarded a certificate for completing the year. At first, I didn't think I would be able to go to the ceremony, so I told Will that I would check him out early that day instead (and go for ice cream... shhhh! don't tell the other boys!) :)

However, Jeff pulled a few strings and was able to do some work at home that morning so I could go. Will lit up when he saw me at the back of the gym taking pictures! I'm so glad I was able to go!!

After lunch, I went back and checked him out early while my MIL stayed with the other two boys. We went for ice cream and he chose a big waffle cone dipped in dark chocolate with a scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream... topped off with a helping of peanut butter chips! He only finished half of it because it was so sweet! Then we ran a couple short errands together before heading home.


Yesterday, he received his report card. High marks on everything except for behavior... N's in music and PE.


Today was the end of the year party. I brought Nathan and Witt with me since I knew they were keeping the party simple with just chalk, bubbles, and a quick snack. We arrived for the outside part of it and the boys had fun checking out all the kids.


After the popsicle treat, Will was ready to go. So I signed him out early and we headed home for naps. It was nice to not have to wake up Nathan to go pick up Will from school. In fact, Nathan is still snoozing. :)

Now, with Kindergarten over, you might be wondering what was decided regarding homeschooling. Well, at first I thought I wouldn't make a "formal" announcement because I received some negative comments when we were frist considering it, but this is my blog... it's about our life... and it's what we're doing. I'm not going into the whys of our choice in this post, but am putting it out there that we will begin homeschooling 1st grade in the Fall.

The family (including grandparents) are on board with our decision and we are all really excited about it. Will gets a gleam in his eye when we talk about mommy being the teacher for 1st grade. In fact, we received part of our curriculum for next year in the mail today shortly after arriving home from checking Will out. IT WAS LIKE CHRISTMAS!! Two hours after I put the curriculum away, Will came begging to see the model of the human ear! How could I resist such a request!?! :)

So, anyway, we're looking forward to summer and to putting the boot-camp kindergarten teachers behind us. (Just yesterday, Will said that his current teacher can sometimes be as "mean as a wizard!" - so I am really glad to be done!)

So there you have it... the final "big thing" that is going on. No wonder I'm looking forward to our much needed vacation!

Wishing you all a great summer!

post signature

7 comments:

Autismland Penny said...

Good for you, Becky! You did get some negative comments when you were first deciding. Poor girl. With that said, you will love it and your children will be better off because of your commitment. The best decision we ever made was to pull Logan from boot camp public school and bring him home to learn. You'll be a wonderful teacher! Just think, you could use rendering lard as a science lesson! lol

bekahcubed said...

How exciting for will to be done with school for the year!

And how exciting to hear that you're embarking on the adventure that is homeschooling! I mean, think of it--you won't have to get the kids up early for school, you can do school in your pajamas, and the only thing you'll have to worry about is whether your children will be properly socialized (tongue-in-cheek, of course!)

But really, I'm excited for you--especially in hearing that your family is on board. What a blessing!

Super B's Mom said...

Ok...let me go ahead and tell you that I cried when I saw the pics of Will and how you described his excitement in seeing you there. It felt like my Tuesday morning all over again! :)

Our boys are so precious. We are SO SO SO blessed!!

Jessica said...

How exciting. I can't wait to follow your journey, as we are pretty sure we will be homeschooling our boys as well!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Congratulations on your decision! It was only about a year and a half ago when we finally made the decision, and I know how hard a decision it is to make. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the link to the curriculum you will be using. I need to look through it more for my daughter. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it.

Deborah said...

Congratulations to Will on his "graduation" from Kindergarten!! No matter how bad it may have been, this was still a great accomplishment. I am proud you were able to be there to celebrate with him!

Unknown said...

congrats becky and will! our family is strongly considering homeschooling and we are putting in a bid on a house next week that would for sure land us in homeschooling...not in a school district we want. but the house lends itself to schooling there and we are excited. then i heard a great sermon about "detours in life" this morning that totally spoke to me about our decision to probably homeschool. it wasn't our first idea but with food allergies, it will prbably be a detour for us. and one in which we know GOd will bless us beyond what we can imagine. i'm sure this will be the case for you too!!!

now i need to go find updates on your move to the country!