Monday, August 27, 2007

"Don't Ever Say it Out Loud"

These are the words I thought to myself this morning around 3AM, "Don't ever say it out loud!!".

Moms, have you ever noticed that when you "brag" just a little about how well your baby is sleeping at night how it all falls apart the next night? and the next night?...

We hosted a scavenger hunt at our house Saturday (had a BLAST!) but I think I mentioned to someone that Witt had been doing really well this last week with only waking briefly to feed once per night. Well, that's all I had to say I guess. Saturday night was AWFUL!! I was up about 6 times between 10 and 5 with the longest block of sleep being 2 hours. Finally at 5AM I woke hubby and asked for relief. What a good hubby! No questions asked, no complaints, just got up and went straight to Witt's room with a "Thank you for letting me sleep as long as you did." (very sweet)

I turned on the bedroom fan, shut the door and got 3 more hours of sleep! Thank you, hon!! :)

Well last night was better, but not much - no "bragging" in that statement. After several night wakings, Witt finally woke for the morning at 6:30. I turned him on his back, turned the mobile on, and put the lights on dim and went back to bed. At 6:40 I hear "MAMA" - Nathan's up. He has toys attached to his crib that he can play with so I don't get out of bed.

This morning's rescue didn't come from hubby since he was already at work. Mommy's rescuer today was big brother Will! Around 6:45 I hear running little footsteps coming down the hall. Then I hear in Witt's room a big "Ah-Booga Woo-Ga" (Will's good morning). Witt stops fussing. Will comes in my room, "Mommy it's 7:00". "No it's not, " I say sleepily (looking at the clock it's 6:57). Nathan starts up again. Will runs to Nathan's room. Quiet. Hmmm, I think I fell asleep for an extra 3 minutes. Then Will runs back to Witt's room. Giggles from Will. Then finally to my room, "Mommy, Nathan's awake. I calmed him down by throwing lots of toys in his crib!" Very proud little boy. I give Will a hearty "thank you" and a "good job" and I get out of bed to see the outcome.

Nathan's crib is indeed full of toys. In addition to the standard Thomas Sheet and blue hippo Nathan sleeps with are: one green bear the size of Nathan, 1 brown bear 3/4 the size of Nathan, a fuzzy round pillow shaped like a pumpkin, a stuffed jaguar, 1 green sock, 2 little brown bears, an orange monkey, and a set of toy keys. Oh, and Nathan was in there somewhere. LOL! It was a cute sight. (I had to take a re-enactment picture!)



Then to rescue little Witt... I could only imagine. However, in with Witt was one little Gloworm playing soft music and lit up. Happy as could be.

Isn't it amazing how Will knows what each child needs? What a good big brother he is!

Maybe by tonight Witt will have forgotten I bragged on him and I'll get some sleep... :)

2 comments:

Heather K said...

I love you, and I LOVE your children. And your blog's not so bad either:)

Deb W said...

What a wonderful story!!!!!
I am so proud of Will!