Friday, August 24, 2007

Signing with My Boys


Yes, we've taken up sign language. We started when Nathan was 9 months old (he's 21 months now). Nathan was a colicy baby and whined an awful lot. I decided to start signing because I thought it might help him communicate better and I thought it would be fun. I've always wanted to know how to sign. I remember being in middle school and there was a girl that was deaf. I would pretend to communicate with her. Looking back, I don't know if she thought I was tormenting her or if she thought I was just nuts.

So, back to signing with the kids. I purchased the book Sign with your Baby and started with the most common baby signs: milk, more, eat. Then at a consignment store I found the video to help me with the signs a bit more. Nathan was 10.5 months old when he signed back "more". Just in the last two weeks has he said the word, so I'd say it has helped him communicate faster. :)

He started signing things more and more quickly. We bought the first volume of Signing Time videos because he was really showing an interest and so was our oldest son, Will. Wow! Signs everywhere!! However, very few words. I got a little concerned and stopped with the signing and really focused on vocal words. There was a small improvement. However...

About this same time, Nathan had been having significant ear infections and it was time to get tubes in the ears. After the tubes were in, the dr said he should be hearing better and his speech may improve. Within 1 week of the tubes, he had said at least 5 new words!!!

With the vocal improvement, we've gone back to signing for fun and plan to get the next volume of videos for his birthday in November.

Will I sign with the youngest, Witt? Most likely. It has been a lot of fun for us and had we not done it with Nathan I think he would have been much more miserable. It's almost like I had foresight in what would happen (of course I didn't - don't want to be psychic!).

Occasionally, Nathan will look to me for a sign even after I've told him the word. I visit the ASL Browser for a quick learn.

No comments: