Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No More Woe is Me


To lighten my load of stress I've decided on a few things. (Well, more than a few.)

1) Although I am going to keep tabs on my grocery spending, I am no longer going to report it on my sidebar. I was surprised at how accountable I felt once I knew I had to put my overage out there to the www. That accountability also brings stress and I need to lesson that. I know that sounds a little backwards, but I hope it's going to help me relax a little bit.

2) I'm going to slow down on my baby steps to better nutrition. The kids aren't enjoying some of the things I make and meal time has gotten more stressful because of it. I'm not going back to straight junk food, but I am going to say, reduce the amount of whole wheat flour I use in some of my baked goods.

3) With Jeff working a lot this week, I'm giving myself a little cooking break and have afforded myself some convenience food with the kids. Today I actually bought some po.ptarts. Those paired with some fruit and sausage patties will make for easy-going breakfasts before school.

4) Even with the extra convenience foods, though, I need to watch it. I've noticed that when I eat less nutritious foods, I feel worse... and I don't need that. I need filling, energizing foods. I also need to watch it because I've been stress eating and have gained back 3 of the pounds I've lost this year! ACK!

5) I'm going to make a plan. A list, actually. And then I'm going to take one or two items and assign them to a day to be accomplished. I need to fill my time and be productive to get out of this woe-is-me slump.

What do you do to bring yourself out of a stressful slump?

post signature

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Good #2!! Feeding kids, trying to eat nutritious foods and dealing with food allergies can be so stressful. I have been married for 10 years and 8 of those years we have eaten with dietary restrictions due to allergies. It has only been in the last 1+ years that I have felt comfortable in my kitchen and that my family truly, truly enjoys what shows up on the table - baby steps, definitely...but stick with it, you'll get it!!!

laurel said...

I don't blame you for taking a step back for awhile. I definitely did during my first trimester of pregnancy. I felt a lot of guilt for not keeping up with the positive changes I had made but had to remind myself that we go through seasons, and when we are in the midst of a difficult one, it is more important that we have a calm peaceful house than it is for us to eat nothing processed, or (fill in the blank). We are blessed to have choices and the ability to choose the easier road when we need to. I definitely think this is one of those times for you.

Super B's Mom said...

Eating chocolate and shaving my legs makes me feel less stressed. Not at the same time though...haha

I'm amazed how in the midst of your stress you have the clarity and determination to makes these changes. I think your little changes will make a BIG difference.

And overall, I'm thrilled to see that you're going to lighten up on YOURSELF. You expect too much of yourself. You are an amazing mom and wife - just the way you are.

(((HUGS)))

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Good for you for recognizing your stress level and knowing that you don't have to do everything all at once. Good luck to you!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Sounds like you have taken some good steps. Baby steps - in th eright direction. WE can't take it on all at once.

Hope you are feeling less stressed now!