Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Organizing Round-Up: Kitchen

I am participating in Org Junkie's Monthly Organizing Round-up.

This month is the kitchen.

I have a very small kitchen with a total of six cabinets (pantry not included). Three cabinets are filled with plates, mugs, glasses, casseroles, etc. and are nicely organized on a consistent basis, so I chose to organize the inside of the three really cluttered cabinets: spices, medicine, and cookbooks. Whew!


Also, please note that I have been using the organized cabinets for a week now. I opened the doors and didn't put things "back in place" for the pictures. I figure that's only fair right? My hubs says that it's easier to get organized than to stay organized and I agree, so... here are my cabinets as I actually see them:


My spice cabinet before the Round-up:


I couldn't find anything quickly! And now, take a look... I'll even give you a minute to "Oooo and Aaaahhh!"



Oh, but you need a closer look to appreciate it even more. Not only is everything in a labeled bin, but I've labeled the spice containers alphabetically: A - C, D - O, and P - Z. (That's just how it worked out for them to fit.)


And even a closer look, shows that I've labeled the tops of each of my spices so I don't have to pull the bottle out to look at the label. Just a quick glance is all I need now! Can you tell I'm impressed with myself? :)



The medicine cabinet was a bear, too! I had it (barely) organized with the kids' stuff on the bottom shelf, Jeff's on the top, and mine along with shared meds in the middle. (Well, hmm, just noticed that that really isn't true as the kids' vitamins are on the middle shelf and a pack of my iron suppliments are on the bottom shelf... HA!)



But NOW, the kids are on the bottom, Jeff and I are on the top shelf in our own bins and the shared stuff is separated into three bins: heartburn/stomach, cold/flu, and sinus/allergy (each with their own label of course - heehee!).


The kids' medicines are separated with the infants' on the right and children's on the left. (And now the vitamins/suppliments are where they belong!)

Yes, that is a massive amount of Allegra you see... Booger Boy is doing well with it and the nurse gave me 3 boxes of samples (about 4 months worth)!!!! Woo Hoo!

Back to the Round- up: More labels! I love my P-Touch!


The cookbooks... I am a collector. I use them, too, but I mostly collect. Here is the shot with *some* of my cookbooks before the Round-up. Note all the loose recipes in the burgundy book top left... drives me nuts!


And here is after, with *most* of my cookbooks (I think there is more in the garage somewhere).

The ones I frequently use are on the bottom shelf and the dairy free cookbooks are on all grouped together on the left. I also use the burgundy one on the top shelf - it wouldn't lay flat or fit on the bottom shelf. One of my other goals was to get rid of those loose papers - I wasn't able to get rid of them, but I did contain them better in the orange folder on the bottom shelf.

I also wanted to add more to Must Follow Recipes; I added seven. (I haven't been cooking much - my oven and stove are dead... that's another post...)

So, overall, I am completely happy with the results of this month's round-up! Sometimes I even walk by and open the cabinets to see how nicely put together they are! :)


BEFORE

AFTER
(I need to learn to turn the flash off...)




Next month is the DINING ROOM. Join us!

post signature

29 comments:

laurel said...

Go you!!! Your cabinets look great! I *heart* your label maker!!! :)

Lisa said...

I heart the my label maker too! You did a great job!

Kim said...

WOW!!!! That looks great! I have run across your blog through the "linky love" meme. Your boys are oh so cute as well!!!

Kim

Lulu said...

Ummm...your unorganized cabinets are more organized than mine. Geesh! Now I have organizational envy and guilt!

I would so walk by and open the cabinets too!

Kelley said...

Isn't that about the best feeling in the world?! I need to be doing the same thing but I am afraid my computer addiction has taken over my life......

~~Kelley

Anonymous said...

I hear Kelley about the computer addiction...
Becky, I was going to say too that your "before" cabinets weren't that bad! But I understand not being able to find things, like the spices, gets so frustrating. Actually I did the same thing with my spices (labeling the top) but I think it was an idea in Martha Stewart Living- so of course it was "print out beautiful matching spice labels printed on circles on pale blue paper and cut them out and hot-glue them to the top"... well you can imagine that as soon as a spice ran out that label didn't get hot-glued to the new one!!
My husband got a labeler (we called my dad's Brother P-touch brand labeler the "brotha P" growing up), and I think it's going to end up being useful for me too soon!!
Way to go, it looks great! I'm motivated to try some organization around here now.
- Sally

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous. I wish you could come over and do this to my cabinets.

CC said...

WOW! I'm so impressed!! BTW, I got back to your comment on my blog. Thanks for visiting me!

Anonymous said...

WOW! It all looks amazing, but I'm especially envy of your spices. I need a label maker now.

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to ask you, where did you get the bins that the spices are in? They look like a perfect size.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

NotTryingforaBoy~

The bins are from Walmart. $0.99 each. Hope you can find some, too! I've really enjoyed mine.

Becky

Bonnie said...

Oh my goodness ! Your kitchen looks so good ! I love the way you've done it ! The medicine especially !! Love how you labeled that !!!

Kari said...

Love your labels!

The Mrs. said...

oh my lord. I'm in awe of you. AWE. I stumbled upon your blog and I'm so impressed. Im off to get a label maker and inspiration to tackle my kitchen and craft corner. I have a feeling the label maker will be easier to find!

Dawn said...

It looks great. I love what you've done with your spices. I have mine all alphebetized, too, but they are always getting mixed up (my husband's fault) so I think having them all separated into baskets is a great idea. Labeling the tops of them is an even better idea. Good job!

Anonymous said...

OK, first off I'm amazed that you have that many spices!! I MIGHT have 12. :)

But really, I do LOVE your baskets and your labels. Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Now those are some organized spices!! Great job, and congrats on making the "Top 12"!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Nice work. I did my spice cabinet, but no spiffy label maker for me. I used a Sharpie. But, a label maker, ooh that would be fun.
Again, great job!

I have a good life said...

Love the spice idea! I am going to copy that and the labels on the lids...genius! :)

Jena Webber said...

Looks great. You sure have a lot of spices--good to know where they are, so you can cook for all of those boys!

Val said...

Wow, you did a great job! I love the alphabetical spices. I am going to have to steal that idea from you. And the medicine cabinet, perfect!

CandCFamily said...

Graet job! Inspiring for sure!

Ter said...

I *so* want a label maker!!!

Congratulations on making it to the top 12!! Keep up the good work!

eiseais said...

got ur blog add from a friend of mine. i do the same thing to my boys' meds. it really helps, esp since hubby says "they all sound alike..."

i've got 3 boys too...ages 3, 15 mths & 5 mths :)

Amy V. said...

Very nice! I love your idea of labeling the top of the spices and putting them together alphabetically. (Thought I'd check out my fellow linky-ers from Organizational Enlightenment.)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I love your idea or labelling everything it must be so much more easier to find everything! I just thought i would let you now that i had a batch of plain labels from a british labels company for a very low price. It may be worth taking a quick look at their site for yourself to see if you could save yourself any money.

Veggiemomof2 said...

Wonderful job you've done! I'm saving this page as an idea to organize my spices after our remodel next week. Thanks!

Bella Sweet Cakes said...

Just stumbled to your site ,, and this is such a great idea... Congrats on your effort!!!

Krystal A. said...

Im a little late...but I just cam by off of organizing jumkie's website and OMG what wonderful ideas!!! Time for this prego to nest some more and reorganize the pantry, again. lol