Thursday, January 10, 2008

Booger Boy


Poor little pitiful Nathan
. We had a follow-up appointment with his doctor yesterday regarding his sinuses and it's never a good thing when the doctor says, "I don't know what to do".

Basically, Nathan has been on antibiotics since mid-November. At the first appointment, the pediatrician said that generally in kids with ear tubes they either get better when they have a cold or they get sinus infections. Apparently Nathan is a sinus infection kid. :( First round of antibiotic... here we come.

About 5 days after finishing the meds, we were back in the office for more severe congestion. Second round, different kind and stronger... here we come.

About 5 days after finishing those... bless - his - heart... he woke up with pink puffy bloodshot eyes and green gunk coming out of them (and his nose). Another appointment - that day. Here's a paraphrase I received, "Sometimes the sinuses back up so much that they start pouring out of the eyes." Ewww.... gross! Plus, that's got to hurt. So, here we go again... stronger meds. 3 weeks worth at 3 times a day with a follow-up sinus scan two weeks in to see if he is responding to antibiotics at all.

That's what yesterday was. The sinus scan. The doctor comes in with the x-ray asking me if how I thought Nathan was doing. I said, "Better." He looks a little inquisitively at me, "Really?" I responded with a chuckle in my voice, "Well, at least it's not coming out of his eyes anymore..." He smiled with a chuckle of his own. (He's got a good sense of humor.)

Turns out that one sinus cavity looks good, the other is PACKED! Doctor P turns a little more serious with, "Nathan has been on basically every oral antibiotic known to man and he is still sick... I don't know what to do next but to send you to an Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) doctor."

"Well, good... we're scheduled to see him in two weeks anyway for an ear tube follow-up."

His reply with a chuckle, "Well, good! That will be convenient."

He and I basically laugh every time we see each other because... well... I'm in there so much with Nathan... and then of course I do have two other kids with issues: the tip-toe king and the no dairy boy! We're becoming BFFs, Dr. P and I! LOL!

So in the end, more doctors for Nathan. Well, not new doctors, just new kinds of checkups. I feel so bad for him. In his two short years he has been on medication more often than not. He's a good little patient, though; he lets the doctors poke, prod, and look without a single peep or disagreement. And somehow, through *most* of this he has kept up his hilarious and explosive personality:

















post signature



(Update on Booger Boy here)

4 comments:

My name is Dianna said...

there is a prescription drug call Ah-Choo....it is excellent! My middle daughter had chronic snot coming out of every hole in her head! She had tubes and I am not kidding when the kid sneezed I had to wipe her ears as well as her nose...YUCK-O. We had to switch ped's. due to insurance and our new one instantly put her on it and within 48 hours she was DRIED-UP, not stuffed up, but instead it was gone! Plus, she slept really well on it. She has chronic Augusta allergies and always kept sinus infection and conjuctivitis and ear infections b/c she was just soo snotty! Ah-Choo is mostly natural, I can remember the breakdown and it is a reasonably inexpensive prescription--our insurance doesn't carry it but it is like $15 a month! Hope this helps or he clears up!
PS-the book is incredible...I got it yesterday and I can't put it down...it is so rich! Thanks!

laurel said...

Poor little Nathan. I hope his health issues are resolved soon. I love that picture!

Barbara said...

You might want to try using a neti pot.
http://tinyurl.com/22o93r
It's results are amazing. Just thought you might like an alternative to antibiotics. Our ENT recommended it.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh I feel your pain. (I have a tip toe walker) AND we have health issues.

You might want to look into probiotics. We are looking into them and I have had friends SWEAR by them - they give your body the good antibodies and tons of them. Anyway -if you want information, let me know.