Friday, January 4, 2008

Simple and Slow Fridays: Noise


So, for my first post on Simple and Slow Fridays, I know you are expecting something profound from me. Ha!~ won't happen! :)

Actually, I think instead of just having random posts, I will give us "challenges". I like a good challenge. A goal. Something to strive for and accomplish. Initially I will use Mitten Strings for God to help me come up with my challenges. You don't have to own or even read the book to participate. What do you think? If you don't like the challenge of the week, feel free to write about what you want and still link up to us. Maybe I'll use your ideas for a challenge later! I just want this to be both fun and beneficial.

So, for starters this week I have scheduled the cable to be disconnected at our house. This was just something that needed to be done. It is too much of a temptation for me to stick my kids in front of the no-brain-box. For those of you that have been reading my blog for awhile, I'm sure you saw this coming. I am hopeful that we will have as much success with this as Katrina Kenison (author of MSFG and we'll call her KK for short) did when she wrote about it in her chapter "TV" (pg 49):

As I think back to the battles my children and I used to have over shows and times and channels and hours in front of the set - and to the vague sense of unease I felt about plopping my young children down in front of the loud, insistent sounds and images of television - I realize that the cold turkey approach was the right way for our family. After a few weeks of adjustment, we were weaned. And after that, we never looked back.

With no tv, I will need to be more intentional with my time and my children's time. No tv will also decrease the noise in my house. Life always seems more peaceful, enjoyable and easier for me when there is less noise. Children's "noise" and nonsense background noise are two very different things!

I really appreciate how KK describes noise in the chapter entitled "Quiet". We choose to let so much unnecessary noise into our lives and "yet most of us do appreciate silence. Think of the quiet that falls over the house in the moments just after the children are asleep..." (pg.27) I love that moment. Quiet. Slow. Relax.

My challenge to you and myself for this next week:

"Be conscious of the different kinds of noise you allow into your life. Begin to eliminate any that don't enhance the present moment." (pg.31)
Link up today on anything pertaining to slowing down and simplifying and be sure to come back next Friday with a post on how you and your family did with this week's challenge. Include what you liked about it and what you didn't...or, just write something else about slow and/or simple living. If you don't blog and would like to participate, simply leave a comment.

And you thought I was going to ask you to get rid of your tv, didn't you!? :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

We added quieter times in our home not by removing a TV, but simply moving it to another room. The kids do play video games on it, but they don't just stare mindlessly at some program anymore. It was in our living room, and they wanted to watch TV at dinnertime. When we put up our Christmas tree, we moved our TV and entertainment center to the playroom and left it there. Without that one distraction, even after Christmas, we're now having dinner as a family at the table.

Yay us!

Blended in Texas said...

Since my husband and I have been married we have never had cable hooked up to our TV. Ours is strictly for movies- we have Netflix (LOVE it!). Our boys will watch maybe three movies a week give or take a few. They are pretty creative with their play-sometimes this gets them in trouble though...they like to take things a part and 'try' and put them back together again..uhem. Tim and I will watch approximately three movies a week also. What I like about only doing movies is there is a definite time limit on how much you watch. I know my kids (and I) would be glued to the TV if we had cable hookup- therefor we don't have it. Congrats on such a huge decision! Your life will be different!

laurel said...

Great way to start the carnival, Becky! I am looking forward to this. I am glad you didn't ask us to get rid of the TV completely, b/c my hubby would NEVER agree...and Project Runway is my once-a-week guilty TV pleasure. :)

Anonymous said...

I like noise. Total scilence is like nails on the chalkboard to me. I'd sooner someone stab me in the eye than sit in a room with me and say absolutely nothing.

I am a big believer in engaged noise, though. There is clatter and clanging that only serves to dish up a migraines and then there is the noise that means there is life in the house. At our home this means 5 hours of "screen time" a week, which includes tv, movies, and video games. Since we instituted this rule about 2 years ago, I've learned that my son is a fantastic storyteller, my oldest daughter does a dynamite karaoke version of "Respect", and my youngest has a gift for sculpting. I don't know that we would ever have explored these talents if the remote were so handy.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Now Tracy, you know me I don't like too much absolute silence! :) If it's too quiet I have to open my mouth and talk (and insert a foot usually!) LOL!

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to imply that one should make life silent. I just think that having too much background noise clouds the good sounds and noise that kids make. Creating our own noise is different than just plain noise. I like your phrase "engaged noise". That's more along the lines of what I'm trying to get at.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That's a good start! I hadn't told Andrew that I was not going to needlessly watch tv anymore but I definitely am going to do so when he comes back from his work out session. Congrats on taking the first step!

Anonymous said...

I love the Carnival. I jumped on. I am a Carny now. Yay! Slow and simple -- I love it!

Nicole said...

Great challenge! How perfect to find your blog today when I had spent the week attempting to quiet our lives and move toward a slow Friday. Making every effort to limit the TV has been critical for our family. Also, when we do use the television I try to put on Thomas the Train or Little Bear which are much gentler on my eyes and ears and the kids eyes and ears as well.

Lisa said...

We try our best to stick to a no TV during school nights rule, and it has made a huge difference in attitudes, behavior, and study habits!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous carnival! It's amazing to consider and become aware the time to be aware of the barage of noise we take in everyday.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow girl! I love it. Our TV was put in the basement for that reason - get it out of the main rooms. We also are very purposeful about when they can watch it. I admit, there are times I need to pop in a video so I can close my eyes.

I can't wait to hear how your week goes! We did dump the TV for a eyar when we were first married and it was the best thing ever!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

BTW...just published my new years goals and linked to your simple and slow fridays. Looking forward to more.