Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Feeding Men

What is it about feeding men that makes us feel so good? (Or maybe it's just me...)


Last night, Jeff was working late. I had just made a pot of chicken stew and he was hungry. He was expecting to be very late and I offered to bring supper up to him. He asked if I would bring two extra bowls worth for the other guys that were working along side him. I offered to just bring the whole pot and he said that sounded great.

I was happy to bring the stew, but somehow felt guilty that I didn't have a homemade dessert to go with it. When did the soul of Betty Crocker overtake me?! LOL! Jeff made it home with half of the stew in tow. He said they really enjoyed it and were thankful to have it, and yet I still felt bad for not having a dessert...?

So, are you a Betty Crocker wanna-be, too, or is it just me?

post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya- I've felt that way before, too. I always question my influences though... like who do I know that does this and why am I trying to do so much extra-special, homemade stuff? Same goes with making meals for my family- I have only recently started to repeat meals. Why do I always try to have something different and "amazing?" For me, my influence is definitely from my mom who is always going way above and beyond. I have to take a chill pill though because I'd drive myself crazy and constantly feel like a failure with those standards. Even though the extras are fun, and are a creative outlet, there's nothing wrong with simplicity.
P.S. Some of my comments are under "Sally," but I just recently started linking to my real blog (Livejournal) instead of my fake blogger one that redirects you to my LiveJournal. Just so you know!

Unknown said...

My mother-in-law lives with us and often has dinner started before I get home from work. So the running joke is that I can't cook, when in actuality I just don't cook.

Baking is another story,however. Just call me Mrs. Smith, or someone who...bakes :-)

My name is Dianna said...

If you ask my girls...dessert is the most important part of any meal!

Lulu said...

Cooking can be so therapeutic. There's just something about nurturing and nourishing someone elses that does your own soul good. Of course, it's helpful when the crowd you're feeding is grateful for whatever you put in front of them.

I do get that baking urge every now and then...but then I have to clean the kitchen and the urge quickly passes! :)

Anonymous said...

I am exactly the same way. Everytime some of Joshs friends come over, even for just a little while, I feel like I need to fix them something to eat, or bake some cookies, or something. I dont know if its because none of them have girlfriends or wives or their own to fix for them or maybe because they brag on me so much and tell Josh how lucky he is. And I always think that if I fix supper I have to fix dessert too. So maybe its just a woman thing...
Randi

laurel said...

I too, LOVE feeding men!! They are just so appreciative! Truly, that is one of my favorite things about having boys, is getting to cook for them. I recently asked the father of three teenage boys, how they have successfully made their home such a hangout (their house is always full of their boys and their friends) and he said "cook for boys and they will come!". Yay!