Friday, January 11, 2008

Simple and Slow Fridays - Noise & Peace



So, how did you do this past week "eliminating noises that don't enhance the present moment"? I did pretty well, I think. We haven't had cable since Monday and we haven't popped in a video at all. There has been very little noise other than the "noise" we've made. It's been nice. In fact, one night we all sat in the sun room reading. Will and Nathan were sitting side by side in the big recliner and Will was pointing things out to Nathan in the book. I do believe that is the first time the whole family was reading at the same time! (Sad, I know.)

I also made a special effort on the road to say "yes" when Will asked for a story. We rode with the radio off (as we usually do), but this time really using our imaginations to interact with Will. It was hard for me to use my imagination for such a long period of time... I was running out of things to come up with! :) It will get better, though!

So with the noise gone, it really got me thinking about "Peace". Peace can be different things to different people. Peace for you might be having your entire extended family gathered together making a lot of conversation "noise" or it might be sitting alone with a book in dead silence. Peace can be different for children than for adults, too. Is peace "just being still" or is peace "having it all accomplished"? Conveniently for me, there is a chapter entitled Peace in Mitten Strings for God. :)

Here area a few of her thoughts on the subject:
So often we bemoan our children's hyperactivity and short fuses. But what kind of example do we set for them as we race from here to there ourselves, trying to accomplish more, have more, experience more, in the course of a day? My rambunctious five-year-old actually craves stillness, embraces it gratefully, whenever I stop long enough to create it with him. (p19)

That we are all efficiency experts almost goes without saying. How else could we meet our deadlines, care for our children, make time for our partners, and put dinner on the table every night? (p21)

We are constantly on the run in some form or fashion! Do we ever slow down enough to just observe our surroundings? To find peace in the simple things? To teach our children to be at peace? I know that I don't do a good enough job creating peace for myself, Jeff, or the boys.

I do not want them to be bombarded with noise, information, and media messages, to be pulled along on a current of activity and stimulation. They need time to stop and exhale, time to feel centered, safe, and whole. (p22)

In a society that endorses activity, I think we would all do well to put more trust in stillness. No matter how busy we are, we can find meaning and renewal in those moments that are available to us. (p24)

Does this subject step on your toes as much as it does mine? Do we give ourselves the time to exhale? This chapter really pulls my heart strings.


Challenge for this week:

What does "peace" mean to you? How can you create it and teach your children about it?

Carve out moments of "peace" for you and for each member of your family every day. It doesn't have to be an hour long or even 5 minutes. It might just be a moment where you connect and find peace in each other's smile. It might be a craft with the kids (ideas here), a walk around the block holding hands, a simple "I love you today", or something as big as a whole day to just enjoy each other's company with no planned agenda.

You have permission to slow down, observe your surroundings, stop and exhale!




post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on the Fordham Family Christmas. It was such a touching moment, and night. I love your SSF carnival. I will try to join again today -- sometime later when I have time.

Anonymous said...

I love this carnival! I have been reading Mittens Strings for about a month (in slow bites so I really reflect on what it says) and this carnival is such a perfect gift to remind me to blog about the impact that book and the daily ways to simplify life. Thanks again!

PS
I checked out the food site and it has some great ideas. I will be sure to pass it to my dearest friend who has just begun the the DF and GF journey.

laurel said...

Haven't had a chance to link or post about this yet, but am planning to. Thanks for your thoughts. Gosh, I lvoe that book! I am rereading it now for the sixth time, and find something new and encouraging every time.

Tamara said...

I can't really say we did anything on the noise front this week. But I did like your post and it sounds like you had a really nice week.

Lulu said...

I realized that I love the sounds of the kids pretending to be someone else, the steady drip of a coffee pot, and piano sonatas while I'm folding laundry. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

As for this week's challenge...take heart in knowing that God used you to speak to me, whether I wanted to hear it or not.

Barbara said...

Wow, what a great idea. I'll come back on Friday and participate.

Laura said...

What a great post Becky, thank you for sharing it with me. It's not easy for me to slow down so I'm so glad to get God's gentle reminders.

I definitely want to check out that book!

Laura