Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Smiling Mom

I went to the mall with Nathan and Witt this morning to make some returns. I loaded them into our double stroller, grabbed the two return bags, the humongous diaper bag and headed in. We had arrived before it opened and walked a little bit while we waited. Then I decided to let Nathan out since there weren't that many people. Nathan ran! It was fun! It was actually quite relaxing. We got so many smiles and comments from other people. But, the best comment for me was when we had taken a break...

I went to the coffee shop in the mall and ordered a Sprite for Nathan and I to share. Outside the shop (still in the mall) they had high tables set up with tall back chairs. I hoisted Nathan up into one and I sat next to him. He had a few sips and then waved at someone in the coffee shop; so I glanced that way. A husband and wife were in line for coffee and she told me my children were precious. I of course already knew this, but said thanks with a smile! :) She said she had 4 boys of her own and was remarking to her husband how nice it is to see a mom smiling and so calm. I about hit the floor! I was a calm, smiling mom? Wow, I guess I was. We'll have to go back to the mall again; what a great morning.

1 comment:

laurel said...

Don't you just love those little moments of grace? Moments like that, when you feel like you are doing something right, when being a parent is elevated beyond changing diapers and wiping noses? Good for you for recognizing the beauty in a simple morning with your children. This was a refreshing post and a good reminder for me (who had the worst parenting day of my LIFE yesterday!).