Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Decluttering

Today I went on a decluttering/cleaning rampage. It's not exciting, but here's what I did:

I got rid of all the expired medicines in our cabinets. While I was there I noticed several things that we had two of where one hadn't been opened, so I made a pile to return to Wal*Mart. As the day progressed I found a shirt I haven't worn, baby proofing stuff we won't use, and a few other things unopened. So now I'll return that stuff! Get it out of my house!

I went through the boys toys. Three medium sized boxes full to sell. They never noticed and really somehow I don't either. Maybe because most of it was just in a big barrel piled up and I never saw it. Anyway, 3 boxes! Wow!

I went through all three boys' sock drawers. Can't imagine anyone would want to buy used socks so, I chunked a bunch of mismatched and old ones. That is the only purchase besides food I made at the store last night: new socks - they NEEDED some!

I went through my clothes. Would you believe I still have my senior prom dress?! How crazy is that! I know I spent like $300 on it, but come on... it's time to go!!! I chunked some old ratty T-shirts that I know no one would buy and made another pile of clothes I plan to (try to) sell. (I would have turned the T-shirts into shop rags, but we've got enough as it is, especially after I added Witt's old spit rags to the pile!)

I went through my books. Most were keepers. I'm mostly getting rid of books on baby's sleep and colic babies. I'm keeping the ones pertaining to building my SLAH business, a few classics that I loved reading, and a few more "baby" books that it's not quite time to get rid of yet. Then, I went through the boys books. There were some that just needed to go for multiple reasons. About a box full. I also found a few activity books that got lost in the mess that Will will enjoy while sitting quietly in worship services.

I went through my jewelry box. Found a ziploc bag of buttons I've been "collecting" for years. You know how when you buy a new shirt they'll include a button, well somehow I ended up with years worth of buttons - trashed it. I'll be selling a small ziploc bag of jewelry I don't wear. I did however find a treasure I had forgotten about - a blue sapphire pendant (Will's birthstone) on a gold chain. I don't remember who gave it to me or where I got it. Very pretty though. Something "new" to wear! I cleared off my dresser while I was there in the jewelry box and then cleared off my nightstand. When I walk in my room now, I can breathe! It's amazing how much more spacious it looks/feels without the junk piled on the dressers! Ahhhhh....

I also went through the phone books. Who needs 5 yellow pages? Not me. I'll put these off to the side to recycle when they do the phone book pick up.

I went through a pile of papers I created of things that need to go in the baby books. I updated the books and got rid of that pile. (BTW, Witt rolled over yesterday!!)

I went through Witt's clothes. Boxed up the 0/3 months and 3/6 months. I'll get those ready for the Spring Consignment. Nathan will be heading into 3T this Fall. I need to find a place to put all these clothes! Nathan's closet is overflowing with things I'm saving for Witt. And shoes - oh man do we have shoes for boys! Anyway, Witt's closet is done.

Speaking of Witt, tomorrow is his 4 month check up and shots. If he's being a good baby after that, maybe I'll tackle my desk. I'm excited to get started and yet I'm a little scared...



Organized desk here!

2 comments:

laurel said...

Wow!!! It sounds like you did about a year's worth of decluttering in a day! Go you! And pray tell, how did you keep your children occupied during this time? :)

Deb W said...

Isn't it amazing what happens once you put your mind to it!? Energy always follows and before you know it, you have made great strides. Go going!!!!!