Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Scent

This week's unplugged project is "yarn". I didn't have yarn in the house and don't see myself every needed yarn (until the day I learn to knit... which I would like to learn) so I took a little creative leeway and brought in holiday tinsel strands (for lack of a better description). We used the strands to tie up the Christmas presents for the boys' bible class teachers, but first the boys had to play with it! They danced around the living room leaving shiny gold stars everywhere!




Will assembled the bags of "Christmas Scent" per my instructions (which I got from the ultimate Southern Living Christmas Book page 220):

1 orange
1 lemon
3 short cinnamon sticks
6 bay leaves
1/2 cup whole cloves


I created a card on stock paper with the instructions:

Cut lemon and orange into quarters; combine fruit, spices, and 2 quarts water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer as long as desired. (Add more water, if needed.) Any leftover mixture can be covered and refrigerated for several days to be reused.

The boys decorated the cards with Christmas stickers.
Here's one of Nathan's completed cards. (No it's not upside down... the stocking is! LOL!)


And one of Will's completed cards.


You can't go wrong with creative memories stickers! They are great!



Here are the completed bags, wrapped with love using our "unplugged yarn".

5 comments:

laurel said...

Well look at you, Mrs. Suzie Q homemaker!! Making great memories with your boys AND fabulous Christmas gifts at the same time! Very impressive! :)

Anonymous said...

I am impressed! What a lovely gift idea, and all tied up with sparkly "string." Very creative!

I think I'll try out your recipe, I'll bet it smells lovely. I'll have to wait until tomorrow's grocery store expedition for the lemon though. Thanks for the idea!

Happy Holidays!

Garden State Kate said...

How nice...I bet it smells great over there!

Maria said...

It has impressed me greatly. Very good idea. 1kiss.

Gottfredsen said...

That is great. I love all of those smells. I may have to try that here. thanks.