Saturday, December 29, 2007

So, How Did I Do? and a Thank You!

In my first "real" post I wrote about the mom I am and the mom I want to be. Without knowing it at the time, writing it became a resolution of sorts. It amazes me how putting something down on paper (or in this case typing it into a blog) makes it more real. Somehow by putting it out there for all the world to read held me more accountable to my thoughts and desires for my family. That post focused the remainder of the year without me even knowing it. So, how did I do? Here's a brief rundown of how our lives have changed since I wrote my first post back in August:

  • Jeff and I trying to be more intentional about teaching our kids about God and letting them "catch" us praying or studying our bible.
  • I have come to enjoy reading stories to Will before he goes to sleep. No more rushing.
  • Rarely do we watch tv at night.
  • We've done more crafts this year than ever before (granted Will is now at a prime age for crafts, but it's still an improvement).
  • Meals are healthier (somewhat thanks to Witt's allergy) and I've started a recipe blog.
  • We are striving for a more organized and simplified home. It's a daily effort and some days we forget that.
There is more, but I said I'd be brief. I think we've accomplished a lot in the past 5 months. There have been some outside influences and I am happy to accept that. I don't think we are supposed to live this life all by ourselves without help. So many people have come into our lives this year and helped in different ways; today I want to say thanks to some of them specifically (in no particular order):

  • Happy at Home has led me to simplifying and slowing down my pace (and has helped with about a million other things over the last 5 years - I heart you, Laurel!).
  • Mom Unplugged encouraged me in unplugging the no-brain-box, doing more crafts, and helped with dairy free recipes. (You've been a big part of my year.)
  • Take90West inspired me organize/decorate my laundry room and added in some extra laughter (you are a nut and I'm so thankful you are!)
  • Notbefore7 reminds me to record the humor in my children with Tiny Talk and has become a sounding board for "kids on antibiotics" (it's a tough job and I'm glad we're here for each other!)
  • Through My Window has answered numerous questions about milk allergies. Thank you, thank you! Dairy free can be accomplished, people!
  • Crunchy Chicken helps me be more environmentally friendly. (Yes, I deleted my Diva Cup post... I got paranoid about who was reading my blog and thought it to was too much info!)
  • Organizing Junkie has helped me stay on track with preparing weekly menus.
  • A few bloggers have even agreed to help me in the Walk to D'feet ALS next year (see side bar). Let me know if you'd like to walk/raise funds, too!
There are more, but I said I'd only thank "some". I try to keep my blog rolls up to date, please let me know if you think you should be listed! :) I do have 3 boys you know, and sometimes my brain doesn't work (or farts... whichever you prefer).

Here's to a great 2008!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Heart ya!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow! Thanks. It has been so fun getting to know you and your boys. I love Tiny Talk for the very same reason - the focus it gives me on the funny things they say!!!!

Here's to a new Year of blogging friendships!

laurel said...

I have enjoyed your blog very much. I am so glad you decided to jump in and start one. I have noticed the shift in your family and time, as the months have gone on...I am impressed and encouraged by the changes you have made...I can tell you have become more intentional about your time and your relationships. Isn't that what it is all about? Enjoying our lives right now, where we are, regardless of our circumstances? Growing in our relationships w/ Christ and our family and friends? I am so glad for our friendship. You encourage me so often, and I love our "parallel lives"!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! What a sweet post! I have really enjoyed getting to "know" you this year and look forward to doing many more projects (including the ALS fundraising) in the year to come. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Tamara said...

I went back and read your first post. It was great, made me think I should make some lists so I can be more intentional. (Although one of my goals would have to be to RELAX a bit more and GO WITH THE FLOW) Thanks!

Melissa said...

You are so sweet to include me in your thank you list! I am hopeful that I will be able to start consistently posting in general and about milk allergy helps especially. I am glad that your family is experiencing such positive changes. Happy New Year!

Name: Jenni said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and now have added some new ones from your list!

I'm still interested in the D'fee ALS walk, just have to talk to my family about it!