Thursday, December 13, 2007

Praying

Last night we had our first ladies' bible class of the new quarter. I am so excited about it because I need it!

First of all, it's a ladies only class, and this quarter it's all the ladies - both young and "young at heart". There is so much to learn from older generations. I'm a little intimidated to speak with so many women in the class, but I'm hoping that will help me learn to listen more.

Secondly, it is a class on prayer. What, when, where, and how the bible teaches us to pray. Last night was really just the introduction to the class, but it's already got me thinking about a few things. Am I praying enough? Am I asking more than I'm being thanking? Am I doing a good job teaching Will to pray? and what about Nathan? Can we be more consistent in our thanksgiving for our food before we eat? Are my prayers becoming repetitious? being heard? being answered? We talked about a few of these things in class.

Thirdly, the men are using the same study book for guidance in their class. Jeff and I had a great discussion last night. I don't know why it's different to have him in one class and me in another and then share ideas afterwards, but I just like it better. We come from two different though processes, but arrive on the same page somehow.

This is also a good opportunity to share something that I hold close to my heart and find very comforting. Jeff prayed for me. Before we met, he prayed for a wife. He made a list of the attributes he wanted in a wife - physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. He prayed a specific prayer for the woman he wanted to marry. About two months later, I came into his life. Within two weeks of our meeting, there had been several things that came out in our conversations that struck him because they were things he had prayed about. In that same second week, after another "strike" he made the comment, "Don't be surprised if I ask you to marry me one day..." and here we are over 10 years later. Does God answer prayers? Absolutely, yes. Am I taking advantage of the wonderful opportunity that we have to speak with him? Not enough.

I've been really thinking about getting up earlier in the morning before the boys wake and spend that time devoted to God. I'd like at least 30 minutes, but even 5 minutes would start my days off better. If you have a devotional book that you really like that helps lead your own personal study time, please suggest it to me. I'm going to start looking for one. This is something I NEED to improve upon in my life.

6 comments:

laurel said...

I hate that I pray so much more when I am struggling. We have an opportunity to commune with our Savior any time that we choose...yet we are too wrapped up in the mundane details of our life to take advantage of it. :::sigh::: so frustrating. Lately, I have become aware of how many times someone has shared something with me and I have promised to pray for them...then forgotten.
Anyway, I know what you mean. This is also a struggle of mine. I have recently stumbled upon a blog that I am really enjoying...several of his recent posts gave good suggestions for having a good devotional time. You might find it helpful. I have been really encouraged by it. http://blazingcenter.blogspot.com/

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Prayer has definatly been an area of my life that God is convicting me again and again of. This was so encouraging to read. I think it is so great you are both studying the same book so you can share what God is doing! That is awesome!

As for a book - I read a Psalm in the AM with the girls to kick off the day. I have heard Beth Moore is great - she has a devotional on the heart of David I want to get - a little reading and a question.

If I find something else, I'll let you know!

Bob said...

God is wonderful! No doubt! It helps to hear other's peoples testimonies about such things as I pray for the wife and husband that my children will one day marry. I should make a list of what I think are good characteristics of a good spouce for each of them but who's to say that someday they will feel the same way as me! LOL

I feel the same about sepnding time in divotion to God in the mornings and though I have been THINKING about it a lot lately, I haven't been DOING it...I find myself waking up before the kids, even before my husband goes to school, and instead I stick my nose in a book...then I feel guilty because I know that God provided that time for me to draw closer to him and I am abusing it. So I too, am still working to get to the point where I do what my heat longs for yet my body isn't willing to do.

Your post has encouraged me! :)Thanks for sharing.

Bob said...

Grrr!!! Sorry about that last comment! My husband was logged in and I didn't realize that I commented under HIS account until I went re-read what I wrote!

To make it even worse, I wondered why my husband had commented on your blog for a moment...I'm pretty dence at times! LOL

Risa said...

Ok...I forgot the SECOND time to change the account! The kids were fighting and I got distracted and hit the "Publish Your Comment" button before I changed...so the last 2 comments are on me, not Bob!

Sorry again...I've got it right this time though!

Sally said...

Hi, remember me, the one with lots of similarities to you? :) I finally found your blog again and this time I've made a note of it!
I'm totally hearing you on the waking up before the kids- which didn't even seem possible until my baby (now 5 mos.) started sleeping through the night, but of course I didn't actually do anything about it until it sort of 'naturally' happened the last couple of days. I don't spend much time, but the 5-10 minutes I started my day with a verse and a quick prayer (written down so I can look back later) has made me feel that much better about my day! I hope it starts to fall into place for you, and you can be motivated to do it. Congrats on expecting #4, when are you due?