Monday, September 8, 2008

One Man's Junk...

Well, in this case more than one man's junk is my treasure! For whatever reason, my neighbors have been getting rid of some great stuff!

When someone doesn't want something anymore and just wants to get rid of it, our city allows us to just put it at the end of the driveway for someone else to pick up. Kind of like a freecycle thing. Well, let me tell you, I am doing my share of recycling some free stuff! :)

Check out what I've picked up in the last week:


1. A box of cans for one of Will's school fundraising drives.



2. A sturdy chair for my MIL's lake house. If she doesn't want it, I'll put it in the yard sale I'm planning for November and make a buck. :)





3. A Little Tykes play set. I just need to attach the slide, but obviously there's fun to be had without it!



4. A plastic drawer system for all our arts & crafts supplies! I was going to buy one in about a month when the Monthly RoundUp is the craft room, but I'll take it now for free (even with one drawer missing). Free is free and it'll work!

5. See that white thing to the back right of my drawers, it's a toddler bed. Exactly like this one. Nothing wrong with it. We don't need it right this minute, and if we decide we don't want to store it, I'll put it in the before mentioned yard sale and make another buck. :)

6. Score! How cute is this? A Little Tykes basketball goal with net! All it needs is a ball and some bleach... of which I have both. :)


So, how about you? Do you pick up junk on the side of the road?


post signature

9 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Heck yes, I pick up stuff by the side of the road! My neighbor just found a DOUBLE JOGGING STROLLER in the trash for me--all it needs is some new tubing in the tires. Score!

Anonymous said...

I don't . . . my sil does though. People do throw away some interesting stuff though.

Looks like you did pretty well!

Anonymous said...

I haven't, but I do check out freecycle every once in a while. I'm more inclined to freecycle or leave my junk than pick up junk. Recently I freecycled two old backpacks that were falling apart. But I thought that the designs (tinkerbell and disney princesses) could be made into something else by someone who is crafty. I wish I was crafty.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky - I haven't gotten to read through the entire eight weeks yet. The surgery thing got in the way. I really want to read it though.

I know nothing can guarantee "Perfect" harmony in the home, but hopefully this approach will ease things a bit.

Glad it is helping in your home.

Dana said...

My husband is big on curb shopping as he calls it. He's find some pretty neat stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've never stopped by the side of the road to get anything--but I do occasionally snoop around in the dumpster behind our townhouse. I got some decent stuff when we first moved in. Someone else was moving out in the same neighborhood and had thrown away some bar stools, several framed pictures, and lots of Christmas lights. We only kept the bar stools for a year before donating them to a church yard sale, but still...

Dumpster Diving Pays.

Super B's Mom said...

NO WAY that stuff was pitched outside on the road?!?!?

SAWEET finds, my dear! It cracks me up how some people look at things and think "Well..it's just useless now." And people like us are like "Hey...a little elbow grease and it'll be good as new!!" :)

Tracy said...

Wow, quite the score on stuff. All those little tyke toys are so expensive glad you got them free! That toddler bed to is a great find. Way to go!

My name is Dianna said...

You rock! I just found a big cozy chair and ottoman, a little hutch and a book shelf.
I call this being provident and resourceful...
I know the people from where I picked up the chair...I actually saw it and called them to pull it away from the curb til my dh could get it....
I have no shame!
Way to go, Becky!

We have a drawer system similar...and where your drawer is missing, you can put some cardboard down and then use it to store construction/doodle paper...just a thought so then there is no gaping hole or wasted space....