Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Don't Want to Just Survive



Do you ever have days where you feel like you have "just survived" parenthood? When at the end of the day what you really want to thank God for most is that you made it through the day?

Nothing specific has happened, but this thought of "just surviving" parenthood has been on my mind a lot lately. I want to do more than just survive it. I want to be a participant, be more active, and just plain more alive. I don't want my days to pass by taking uncaptured moments and unmade memories with them.

I need to refocus my thoughts. Redirect them on making memories. Although some of the most special memories are spur-of-the-moment, being more intentional ensures there are special memories being made! :)

With this thought in mind, I am going to start being more consistent with the Unplugged Projects. I love them. They are so simple and so broad in how we want to approach them. This week's project is themed Hard. So, come this Monday, you'll see something Hard. It might not be spectacular, but it will be something that I did with my boys!

Secondly, I am going to start Simple and Slow Fridays up again. Out of retirement it comes! This isn't always something I do with my boys, but it helps me direct my thoughts.

I love the book Mitten Strings for God and that's where I got the titles for each week. In the past I have given segments from the book for direction, but that became too much work. Now, each Friday I will just give a subject for the following Friday. And if you want to get started thinking about a post for my re-launch of SSF, the topic will be Enchantment. What a fun topic to start on!

If you're not really sure how this works, you might like to check out some of our previous topics (unfortunately in my blog re-design I lost all the Mr. Linky links... I am so sad about this! However, If you have the time, you can check the comment section for those that participated and search their blog by the posted date.)


Simplicity
Play
Secret Places
Wants and Needs
Stories
One-On-One Time
Surrender
Healing
Listening
Nature


Not this Friday, but next Friday, September 26th, I will have my post up about Enchantment and a Mr. Linky for you to link up your post on Enchantment, too. At the end of my post I will include the following week's topic. Let me know what questions you have; I hope to have lots of participants, but even if I don't this is something good for me.

I hope you'll join me on my quest to do more than survive! :)

post signature

6 comments:

Super B's Mom said...

Is there something in the water around here?? What is up with this gray cloud over over us lately??

I'm proud of you for stepping up and creating a plan, instead of hiding in bed with the covers over your head, like me. haha

Anonymous said...

Well said! I SO know what you mean about "just surviving." At times I feel I am just going through the motions, waiting for the kids to grow up. Isn't that awful? I guess I am not alone though.

I am glad we'll see you back for the "Unplugged Project" on Monday. One of the reasons I started the projects in the first place was to make ME forget the laundry and sit down and do something fun with my kids once a week!

BTW, "Mitten Strings for God" is my absolute favorite book. I reread it every two years or so. It is what inspired me to try and raise my children without TV. I guess it kind of inspired my blog too.

Anonymous said...

"Just surviving" applies to more than parenting--I feel I'm often "just surviving" grad school and homemaking (for myself and a couple roommates) and work. Even more disappointing, I often feel I'm "just surviving" in my walk with God. But Jesus came to bring life, and not just any old kind, but life abundantly. I think it's time I spent a little more time with Him, exploring what life abundantly means.

Unknown said...

I love what you do for your unplugged projects. It inspires all of us.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

So wanting to do more than "just survive" it as well...but breathe it in and LIVE it!

My copy is out of BOXES now...time to break it open again!

Sarah said...

This has been on my mind aswell lately. I have been going through my mind on how to pull myself out of this mode and go back to being a fun and involved mother and teacher to my kids....it's terrible way to live waiting for 8:30 to roll around and I can be alone! Definately not the way to enjoy the short time that my boys are small!