Sunday, November 11, 2007

Don't Got Milk

Of course I have spent most of the past two days on the internet researching milk, milk proteins, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, milk, milk, milk... Here are some of the links to interesting information I have found:

There is a plethora of information out there regarding milk allergies! I am amazed!

*********************

Today I went to our local Publix to see what kind of selection they have for milk-free products. I came home with Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese (it smells like cream cheese and is very close in taste with the garlic and chives in it, but the texture is a little off. I can handle it, though.) I also purchased Willow Run Soybean Margarine (I hope it lives up to the review - UPDATE: It does! Can't tell the difference! Yipee!). I also found Earth Balance buttery spread. We'll see how it goes...

I happened across the rice milk and almond milk stashed across from the cereals (of which I have read that only Special K contains the milk protein, casein). I bought some rice milk just for comparison sake (Jeff and I have decided that the vanilla soy milk tastes like a very thin eggnog; I'll let you know what we think of the rice milk when we try it). Speaking of comparisons, though, I asked Jeff to pick up two other name brands of vanilla soy milk while he was at Walmart this morning. Turns out there is also chocolate soy milk! It's really not bad at all; I don't think the boys will balk at it one bit. The milk transition is going so much smoother than expected. In fact, Will asked for some "vanilla ice cream milk" with his lunch today! :)

I also checked out the tofu section as I had read that it helps with thickening when replacing milk in recipes. I got a little overwhelmed with all the different types and flavors so I figured I'd buy tofu when a recipe specifically calls for it and tells me what I need.

I was also good in picking up some extra veggies while I was there. I love asparagus but have never cooked it myself. I bought some and think I'll give it a try while I'm learning other new cooking skills as well.

The upside to all of this is that if it had to happen, I'm glad it happened now. Nathan is still young enough that he probably won't even notice "new" food and will probably just enjoy it. Will is picky anyway, so he can just be picky about the new stuff, too. :)

It is amazing that there is another whole world out there without cow's milk. I have always just passed these items by in the grocery store never giving it a moment's thought. I never knew that a substance in milk is used for glue! yuck. I never knew that soy milk would actually be better than descent. There is so much I have to learn about this new world we've entered. Hope you enjoy the ride as we go through what I am sure will be many trials and errors!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

I really like rice milk and I bet you will too. It is sort of sweet like soy milk.

We can't drink soy or almond milk because of my son's allergy so I think rice is the only option for us.

Thanks for listing these resources. I am going to add them to my very long and growing fast list of things to read.

Tamara said...

Forgot to suggest tossing the asparagus (after snapping off woody ends) with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roasting uncovered on a tray in the oven on maybe 400 or 450 (or broiling if you prefer) until the texture you like. Tastes soooooo good that way!

Unknown said...

Good start!! I'll be emailing again soon!

Jess P. said...

I use Earth's Balance buttery spread and don't notice the difference at all. My girls also love the chocolate soy milk. The youngest drinks either plain or unsweetened Silk soy milk every day (warmed in a sippy cup like she used to drink her formula!) I think the transition to dairy free was a lot harder for my husband and I than it was for the kids. Watch carefully the cereals - I've found a couple that have milk.