Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Answers to Your Questions [Part 1]

This was getting pretty long, so I'll have to do a Part 1 now and a Part 2 later... And, I don't know what is going on with the fonts on this post. Just bare with me...


Tracy said...

You have to spend one week alone. Food, clothing and shelter are taken care of but there's no electricity. What 5 things would you consider essential to pack?

My first thought? I get to be ALONE???! Oh, thank you, Tracy! Even just in thought this was a great question. I got to think about being ALONE FOR A WHOLE WEEK!!!! Thank you, thank you! Ok, I know I'll probably never be alone for a whole week, but it was nice to dream about... :)

To the question. I first have to make some assumptions, being the nerd that I am (gotta put that engineering degree to use somehow). At first I was thinking deserted island, but then, no, it's more like a modern Little House on the Prairie. I'll have food, clothing, and shelter, just no electricity. I can do that for a week easily! I'm also going to assume that the shelter aspect includes my linens, toiletries, and the like because I think the question is more geared towards what I would pack for me. If not, oh well, I'll answer the question they way I want to! :) HAHA!!

So, the 5 things I would pack are:

1) Bible - I really need to get back to the book. I need to make it a priority again and put it first in my daily routine. I've let my spiritual study life go ffffllllzzztttt. (That sounds about right.) So anyway, there's my #1. Easy.

2& 3) I really wanted to combine these and make them one item, but I'll play [a little] fair. I'd bring a three subject spiral notebook and a fully stocked mechanical pencil with 0.7 mm lead. I could combine these into one and just say a battery powered laptop, but there is just something about writing and having it in front of me on paper.

I'd catch up on my correspondences, because I'm sure I owe a few people (like about 30) thank you notes for baby gifts from when Witt was born (in MAY). I'd also use my paper and pencil for notes and thoughts on my Bible reading. I'd probably also jot a few notes down about what I wanted to blog about when I returned. Hey, just being honest here. I think if I had a week I could really clear out some of the cobwebs and to-do-lists in my head. It would be great.

4) Mitten Strings for God - I love this book. My friend, Laurel, sent me a copy and I love it. It's a book for mothers in a hurry. It helps me slow down and see the bigger picture; just a great book. I meant to read it again this past summer, but life took over and I'm still looking for the reigns. If given time to myself I could probably read this book in a day, but it's that good that I would bring it with me.

5) Now, I know I don't have any electricity and I know I'd be wantin' a long hot bath. So, again I'm going to assume that the shelter aspect includes some already cut wood, some kindling, and matches so that I can heat some water and dump it in the tub. After my nice loooonnnnnggggg hhhhottttt bath, I'm going to slather on some Body Butter from The Body Shop at HOME. I rarely have time to pamper myself and this is one pampering that is easy enough that I can do daily during my week alone.

I know there is probably something better or more exciting that one could bring on a week alone, but I'd like to take my week to just relax, clear my head, and get some sleep. Oh, I'm also assuming that shelter aspect includes a huge down comforter to go on top of the most comfortable king sized bed I've ever slept on - because it's my MODERN Little House on the Prairie, just no electricity. :)

Roselle said...

For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again? (Yes, your kids would go with you.)

I already have, don't you know that I moved to Alabama? LOL! Just kidding! I love Alabama. Actually, this question isn't very hard for me. I've lived in eight different states and have had moves within states. It was a rough childhood. There were positives, too, though. I've had true New England Clam Chowder, been to a Texas Rodeo, eaten Wisconsin cheese and I must mention the bratwursts... yum! I've seen Georgia peach orchards. I've been to California beaches and devoured Alabama BBQ. I lived in Ohio, too, but I can't think of anything interesting there except that I went canoing in my front yard after a flooding rain. And for those of you counting, I also lived a summer in South Carolina... nothing exciting happened there in those three months.

Currently my parents are living in Washington state. My brother and sister are in Georgia and South Carolina. Almost my entire extended family is in Wisconsin and I haven't seen them in almost 10 years. So, I do know what it is like to move and miss friends and family, but yes, with Jeff and my kids, I'd move anywhere. It is amazing how much love you can build with someone over such a short period of time (when you consider I've only known Jeff for 1/3 of my life). I'd go anywhere with Jeff - he just can't come with me on my week alone! :)

Lisa@Take90West said...

I'd like to know if you could have one service provided to you, free of charge, at all times...what would it be?

Oh, that's tough. I'll start with the obvious and just type as I think.

Jeff has offered to hire someone to help me with the housework, but I just don't want someone else cleaning my house (because that would mean I have accepted defeat and can't be supermom and do everything myself). So, a housekeeper is out. Yes, I've finished my pile of dishes!
I enjoy cooking, so I don't need a chef, but then again gourmet meals at all times... hmmm... I'd say a chef is in the running.

I also love a great back rub. I've had one full body massage in my whole life and it was wonderful. Masseuse is in the running.

Oh, this is hard to choose. Ok, one service, at all times, free of charge... What do I hate doing the most? What would I love for someone else to do?

Poop patrol. I have two 100 lb golden retrievers and they make a lot of poop. I hate poop patrol and cleaning up the back yard. Ugh.

Yep, that's it... someone to take care of my yard. I'm no good at watering plants. My flowers all die. The backyard is full of poop and the kids can't play back there without getting on their shoes (when they wear shoes!). I hate raking and mowing. I want it to be a beautiful yard so we can enjoy it, but I don't want to put the work in. I'm lazy that way. So, a poop patrolling landscaper. Bet you never saw that one coming...

And favorite TV shows?

I don't watch that much tv (anymore). I do, however, have a few shows that I make time for and must see. Monday nights are a big night for Jeff and me. I put Witt down at 7:00 and plop in front of the tube for Prison Break. Jeff is in charge of the other two boys. He gets Nathan down at 8:00 and he plops down in front of the tube for Heroes. I'm in charge of Will - he's in bed by 8:15 and I get to watch the rest of Heroes, too! :) Tuesday nights if I can squeeze it in, I love watching House. I have also liked the last two seasons of So You Think You Can Dance and will occasionally watch American Idol.
Some shows that look interesting to me are Bones, Journey Man, and Ghost Whisperer. I don't really know too much about them, but the commercials gained my curiosity. I really like the whole parapsychology thing. Don't ever want to meet a ghost or know the future, but I think it's intriguing. (Jeff has had a few run-ins with ghosts and that scares me enough...)


Best and worst high school memory?

Honestly, high school was a blast. I was an honor roll student. I was the girls' soccer team goalie and co-captains with Kim Kim. I was a cheerleader, dated an offensive lineman on the football team- we were voted most likely to get married, but didn't. I was in the art club because they took an overnight school trip to SCAD on Tybee Island, GA. Gymnastics, AP Calculus, Physics, and Intensive Office Procedures (Secretarial training - it was the only computer class available) were some of my elective classes. I had lots of school pride and had lots of good, clean fun. I was a good kid (mostly). I had friends from all different social classes and backgrounds. I didn't really hang out with one group of people. High school in general is just a good memory.
For worst memory, I'll give my biggest regret instead because I really couldn't come up with a bad memory. I wish I had spent more time with my girl friends. Although I had friends, my social calendar bent more towards spending time with my boyfriend. That's about the only thing I would change.
Now college... that was just one big bad memory. I hated college, except for my co-op quarters! :) LOVED THOSE!

Randi said...

Who is your favorite cousin-in-law? ;)

It's all you, Randi. And not because you are the only cousin-in-law that reads my blog, honest! :)



Click Here for Part 2

5 comments:

laurel said...

Wow, I learned a lot about you! Yay! 1. We both love to watch Wentworth Miller (um, I mean, Prison Break) on Monday nights. 2. Yes, I agree, Mitten Strings for God is seriously one of the best books for moms EVER. 3. You played soccer in high school!! Soccer was a HUGE part of my life in high school (and would have been in college...I had a scholarship to play at Covenant, but chose Matt instead). I knew we led parallel lives...but this is beginning to get weird! :)

Lisa said...

I loved learning this stuff about you!
I have a golden retriever too! And I have a backyard full of poop too!

Have a great time at the party!

Melissa said...

I'll take that unwanted house cleaner.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow - so loving this. I can't wait to see the rest. This is a great way to get to know someone. I might have to grab this idea from you, Lisa, and Cindy...maybe for the new year ;)

Roselle said...

WOW! I had no idea that you moved around a lot as well! I was born in Minnesota, attended elementary school in Minnesota, attended middle school in Virginia, attended high school in North Carolina, had "alone time" in Idaho for 6 months and then went back home to Minnesota.

I, too, would not have a problem with all that moving! It's in my blood...I always have this urge to grab bunches of cardboard boxes and start packing in May each year. I still can't shake it, LOL!