Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's Cold Today

Well, it's almost been one full month of Crunchy Chicken's Freeze Yer Buns challenge and I must say that today... I am. It is 38 degrees outside and our thermostat is set at 68, but it sure does feel colder than that! In fact, I think it is... and I have proof~

We have a wireless thermo sensor that we were given as a wedding gift (interesting gift, I know... but it has come in handy). I have it in the hallway next to the built in thermostat and it reads the house temperature to be 66 degrees. So then I wonder, hmmm... which one is right? I need a third independent reading! I get the bright idea to use the kids' temporal thermometer (a baby gift) to scan the air. It reads 64 to 65. (I take several scans to get an decent average being the nerd that I am.) With all measurements complete, I think we're chillin' somewhere around 65, which makes me feel better because 68 makes me sound like such a wimp - especially to my northern readers, I'm sure (Hi, Auntie Mary!).

We have been using the energy saving light bulbs for some time, but this past month we have also incorporated some of Sense to Save's energy reducing tips, put a lock on the refrigerator door to keep the boys from playing in there, have made a better effort at turning out lights, and of course we have used the central heating unit less. I was so happy to see our utility bill had dropped this past month as compared to last year! We saved 460 KWH compared to last November! We also reduced our water by 13 CGAL without even trying! Who knew?!

So, even though our pockets are lined with a little more money, my buns are freezing. Could be because I'm out here in the unheated portion of the house on the computer, ya think? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, this so reminds me of when the heater went out in my old car a few years back, I went two solid winters in Minnesota without a heater in the car and learned pretty quickly how to keep warm. Long johns are my best friend along with thick socks, sweaters and my husband's sweats, LOL!

Even right now I should be cold but the thermometer says it's 64 degrees and I'm in my nightgown, no socks, no robe, just my nightgown.