Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Scratch Test Day

Witt and I went to the allergist today for his scratch test on milk, peanuts, egg whites, and egg yolk. When the nurse came in, I asked if we could also test for soy as we are changing our diet to include it instead of cow's milk. Not a problem, yes we can... Great!

So she does the 5 scratches along with the two control scratches all at once. Witt hardly noticed. Wait 15 minutes and measure the marks. She tells me they are all positive except milk! What!?!! The blood test for milk had come back positive! She remeasures all the marks and replies, "Oh, um... well, let's do the milk test again."

Another scratch and a whimper this time. Immediately it starts swelling, so I knew it would be positive. 15 minutes later she returns and confirms that it is positive. She says that she must not have scratched hard enough with the milk the first time. She also tells me that after remeasuring the first set of scratches, the soy and peanut butter were not positive. I'm getting a bit frustrated at this point and ask her politely, "What is the possibility that you didn't scratch hard enough on those two and they are actually positive?" She asks if I want to do them again and I tell her I'd rather be certain than leave with questions looming.

Since we were getting ready to do another round, I thought I'd ask about gluten. I've read tons of stuff on the internet about dairy and gluten allergies so I thought I might as well check since it is a common allergen. Apparently there is not a skin test for gluten. The nurse gave me a lesson in gluten none of which I can remember now; however, they can do a skin test for wheat and I agreed to that.

So this time it's 3 more scratches and a cry from Witt. Bless his little heart (and back full of scratches). Wait 15 minutes... all negative. So with the completion of the scratch testing, we resolve positives for milk, egg whites, and egg yolk. (Egg is a common allergy for this age.)

The doctor comes in and she is super nice. She answers all of my questions. I never feel rushed or feel like I'm asking stupid questions. Here are the bits & pieces I remember from our conversation:

  • Because Witt never had a reaction to the dairy that was in my diet (I'm breastfeeding), I can continue to eat dairy in small amounts. However, she did tell me that the faster dairy exposure is removed, the sooner the allergy might go away. I've decided that I'll stick with a soy diet with the occasional dairy treat.
  • Witt should not have a flu shot because of the egg allergy; I should.
  • When cooking, the proteins in eggs seem to change, so I can eat eggs that are cooked in something, but not eggs by themselves. Witt, of course, should not be given eggs.
  • I need to avoid the baby food that contains eggs and milk. Apparently there is a baby cereal called rice & apples that contains eggs (why?!). I must read ALL labels (which I already knew).
  • 80% of children outgrow these allergies.
  • Witt should not be given fish, shellfish, or any type of nut until he is at least 3 years old and I should not eat those while nursing.
I'd love to hear from those of you with personal experiences with food allergies. Is this information similar to what you have received?

I'd also be grateful for some tried and true recipes that don't contain milk products and if you have suggestions for egg substitutes, I'd love to hear those as well. I can't use commercial substitutes because they contain milk products... see my dilemma? :) Thanks!

7 comments:

Tamara said...

Ugh! Sounds totally frustrating. But sounds like you handled it great. I wish I could help with the milk substitutes but I have only been dairy free for 1 week and so far my first attempt at baking did not go well.

Also, we don't use egg substitutes as eggs are actually something that we can eat. However, I was reading a vegan blog today and the writer was using EnerG egg replacer. Since vegans do not consume dairy either, I would think that would be dairy-free. Have you seen that one?

Lisa said...

I can't imagine having to deal with all of that. It sounds very challenging.
Hope Witt is feeling better after all those scratches.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Oh poor you and poor Witt! I use an egg substitute called 'Orgran no egg egg replacer', I've just googled it and you can get it on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Orgran-Natural-Replacer-7-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000EI1VLU

My daughter is not allergic to gluten, but in the UK they test for a gluten allergy with blood tests. However, you mustn't exclude gluten from the diet in the 3 months (i think) prior to the test.

You could also use rice milk instead of soy milk if you wanted to...
Good luck!
Pigx

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stumbled upon my blog. I'm sorry that your family has to go through the milk free AND egg free diet. I know it's not easy. I hated hanging over the toilet when I realized I couldn't even eat my favorite scrambled eggs anymore.

As for egg substitutes...I haven't had any luck despite working at a grocery store. *sigh* Keep a look out for new recipes this weekend, I'm off all weekend and I am eager to try out tons of new recipes I've found so far!

Melissa said...

This is a wonderful resource for all things food allergy and specifically kid related.

www.kidswithfoodallergies.org

Unknown said...

A Gluten allergy is called celiac. They don't tell you about at the allergist because it isn't their area. But it is actually quite common (1 in 100) It can present silently. If you are very allergic to milk or gluten, you can also react to soy. So sometimes it is best to avoid milk and soy for a while then add soy back in. Soy isn't a really healthy food. It just has some protein in it, but it is actually very processed and they did a pr campaign. Also, it is estrogen producing. Soy is okay a few times a week but dangerous to have several times a day.

Unknown said...

actually for the gluten (celiac) test to be accurate you need to INCLUDE gluten in the diet. A low gluten or non gluten diet would make the celiac test negative. A person who doesn't eat gluten should do the gene test.