Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tricks are for Kids/ Tips are for Moms

I've learned a few things along the way (and these are not about milk!).

I brought Will and Nathan to the doctors today because of congestion and coughing. Will also complained/cried about his ears hurting; he ended up with two really nasty ear infections. Nathan had a chest x-ray done, but it came back with only a little spot on the lungs and was put on antibiotics as well.

Tip #1:
Here's what I learned about earaches - give Motrin instead of Tylenol- it works wonders and it works quickly! This was my personal experience and the nurse also recommended it today.

Tip #2:
Something else about Motrin I learned about a year ago - don't give it to a child that is vomiting (I forget why, but the doctor give Tylenol instead to bring down the fever).

Trick #1:
I learned this from the Target pharmacist when I picked up the boys' meds tonight: Give the child something really cold to drink before giving terrible tasting medicine; it numbs the taste buds! How clever is that!


Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, only a mom. Please don't sue me if this doesn't work for you and anything written here should not supersede what a doctor recommends. (How sad it is that one must write something like this! Better safe than sorry, though.)

What are your Kid Tricks and Mom Tips?

5 comments:

Ellen said...

thanks for the tips. i promise not to sue! :)

Marcia Francois said...

No tips, sorry - but wanted to say HI and I like the picture on your blog header :)

Organising queen
Marcia's take charge blog and
Beaded bookmarks by Marcia

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I alternate motrin & tylenol, because there's a 1 hour overlap where the motrin wears off, but you can't give more. It lasts 5 hours, but you can only dose it every 6-8.

I give motrin first, 4 hours later give tylenol, then the second dose of motrin at 6 hours after the first motrin dose (2 hours after the tylenol)then more tylenol 4 hours later, etc.

My dr's office says you can alternate them every 3 hours, but I find doing that schedule you still end up with overlap times when neither medication is still working, but you can't give them more either because you could OD them.

Just make sure you write down the times you are giving the meds so you don't OD them.

Rebecca said...

Good tips! And the disclaimer made me giggle but I get why you put it there.

Lara said...

I'm sure your post will help someone out there because I discovered the hard way that tylenol doesn't work that great. I use both alternately like Jen suggested.