Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nathan is "Talking"


Nathan, almost 27 months old, has *finally* really started talking . Now, of course, I'm about the only one that understands him and half the time if he didn't have a sign to go with it, I wouldn't have a clue... but he's trying and that makes me soooo happy!

This isn't the normal Tiny Talk Tuesday, but it's a great milestone for him that I want to record. Here are some recent words and some that I haven't heard in a while that have popped back up:

Tee- "tree" with sign
Eye
Eeee - ear
Noe - nose
Hi
Bye
Caaa - car
Down
Dol don - "all gone" with sign
og - "frog" with sign
bi - "bike" with sign
RaRa - "Deborah" (she's visiting)
sirt- "shirt"
ock - "sock" with sign

That's all I can think of in the time I have right now. I'll add more later.

More information on American Sign Language

Also, going through an alphabet book this past week, Nathan correctly identified and gave the sounds for the following letters:

A
M
R
S
T
U

I'm impressed with that! :)


post signature

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I think all of these kids doing sign language now is impressive!
It's really neat how fast they learn at a young age.

Andrea said...

You have a 27 month old that's not quite speaking yet? One of ours is 25 months and my other family members are all freaked out that he doesn't speak yet. He says 'caa' also and just yesterday gave me 'keese' for cheese. I am not worried since he is fine in every other milestones and can communicate with some signs. But I hate it that everyone else thinks we all have to learn at the same rate!
Sign language has been great in relieving some frustration don't you think?
Andrea

Lulu said...

If you can see the language comprehension with sign, it makes it much easier to be patient and wait for the articulation to catch up.

I miss hearing the mispronunciations my kids used to make. It's a darling stage, so enjoy every minute of it!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

We love baby signs too!

I think this was a great Tiny Talk and am going to have to do this as D starts talking!

Julie B said...

I am such a fan of baby signs too! It has helped relieve so much frustration. My daughter just turned two and has just started throwing out words in the past month. Of course, we are the only ones that can understand them but she's getting there. Your post reminds me that I need to write down how she says things! My favorite is Oh for No :)

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

mom24 -

Yes, we have some folks that are worried about Nathan's speech as well. Sometimes I get a little worried and then a few new words pop up and the fear goes away. I've also talked with his doctor about this and he said that boys are generally slower to talk - especially those that got ear tubes (because before tubes they may not have been able to hear well). The kids have a great doctor! I'm glad he agrees that kids learn and speak at their own rate.

I do enjoy signing and I really think there is less frustration for Nathan to communicate because he can sign. He signed "caterpillar" the other day and I'm sure if he had attempted to say it I would have had no clue! Signing is also just FUN!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a late talker... thanks for the comment. It's always comforting to know you aren't alone even when it's something small! :)

Maria said...

Hi, Becky.
With Joel we started using the sign language when he was 10 months. He could communicate more or less well. He started talking when was about 24 or 25 months, and now he talks every hour (except when he is sleeping, of course).
It's a great way to improve communication with children.
1kiss.