Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Playing the CVS Game

After doing a little research on the CVS Extra Care Buck Offers here and here, I decided to give it a shot. I had my local newspaper flyer and last night went to CVS to sign up for the card and to grab their monthly flyer. I chose the items that were going to generate ECBs and that I had manufacturer's coupons for already. I even printed an additional coupon from the web to save up to an additional $5. I was only going to buy items that I already use. So I had my plan and I had my list. This is what I came back with:


I made a splurge purchase on the Gerber juice, which I now regret because I paid way to much for them. (I had the two younger boys with me and that is not a good time to make decisions and rack the brain for cost-effectiveness... note to self for next time.) I also did not have coupons for the Cokes, but they were on sale cheaper than the grocery store. (I don't drink Coke; we have a friend coming to visit and she does...) Anyway, back to the CVS game.

My total that went on my credit card was: $86.03. I'm not really proud of that total. Now I see why I was told to start with just a few items. Also, just because you have a CVS card does not mean they are going to keep up with your ECBs... oh, no... you have to keep up with the printed out ECBs that come with your receipt (see it there in front... I'll be making a pocket for them in my control journal for sure!)

However, let's look at the big picture. Because I used my Discover card I will get 1% cash back, there is another $0.86 savings. I was pleasantly surprised to see a calculated Health Savings Account Summary (We have an HSA that we can use to pay for OTC medications). My total eligible for reimbursement is: $25.03! I also accumulated $24 ECBs for my next CVS purchases. AND... had I remembered my $5.00 off coupon that I printed last night, I would have saved more off my original total! Ugh.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I will have paid a total of $60 for the items pictured about (should have been $55 with the $5 coupon!), plus $24 ECBs for my next purchases. What do you think? How did I do? Is all this tallying and calculating worth it?

post signature

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't have a CVS near me, so I have no idea how it all works, but it sounds like you did okay, earning the 24 bucks for next visit, it just seems like a lot of work though. I know from reading other blogs that it can really save money and help you get free stuff.
I should be better about this, because I always spend a fortune at the grocery store with my bad shopping habits.

Kacie said...

I think you did a good job, you got things you need and saved some money in the process.

It is worthwhile to break things up into multiple transactions if you have the time--that way, you can use more store coupons and can use your ECBs a little sooner.

It takes a few trips to learn all of the nuts and bolts of it, but stay with it! You're off to a great start.

laurel said...

I don't know anything about this. We have a CVS, but I don't go regularly. I say if it is worth all the trouble, then go you for finding a good deal! I guess you will just have to weigh out for yourself if the savings is worth the work you have to put in. :)

Name: Jenni said...

I think you did good for your first time! It takes a bit to get it all figured out. I've been doing it for 6 months or so and I'm still figuring it out.

Kacie's idea is good...break it up into multiple transactions to help be able to use more coupons and your ECB's, thus having less Out of pocket (OOP)

Also a great site with some tutorials and transaction ideas is hotcouponworld(dot)com You can also see the ad scans a week or two ahead of time! Great to help plan ahead!

Keep at it, it's totally worth it and it will get easier in time!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I tried the CVS thing too and felt a bit overwhelmed. I don't buy a lot of the things there and I felt like I was buying things I didn't really use or wouldn't normally buy. I keep looking at it and might try again. Heck, I have $5 ECB to use this month :)

Good for you.

BTW (as a math teacher I have to say something) buy you 1% back on Discover is only $.80. I wish they gave us 10% back, but that is really too good to be true - $8 is actually 10% of your total ;)

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Mary - I'm such a dork. Don't tell anyone that I actually have a Chemical Engineering degree and am good in math - they won't believe you! :) Thanks for the correction. I think I've updated the post appropriately... but I did the math in my head so maybe not... oh well. You're the first person to catch it. LOL! :)