Saturday, October 27, 2007

My Silly Little Introduction-Making Noise-Maker

A cute little thing Nathan does is usually in the morning when we are all piling into the master bed for morning drinks (coffee and hot chocolate). He's the first one in there so it's just the three of us and he sits between Jeff and I. He will stretch out his right hand palm up in my direction and say, "Mama". Then he swings his hand over to Jeff and says, "Dada". He'll repeat, "Dada" and then swing the hand back over to me for, "Mama". After the introductions, I tell Nathan, "Thank you, I know him." :) This has been going on for a few weeks now - too cute!!!

I could describe Nathan as a mime that makes noises instead of motions. It's turned into a bit of a game to figure out what he wants, but other times I know exactly what he's "talkin' about":
  • If he wants a drink, he purses his lips and makes a "sssssssslurp" sound as if he's drinking out of a straw
  • When he pretends to sleep, we get a nasally "honk-shoo, honk-shoo" for pretend snoring
  • Wanting to have a bite of something to eat is always a fun one: he comes walking up opening and closing his mouth with a "num num num num"
  • He makes the noises of some animals instead of calling them by name: moo/cow, cack-cack/duck, nay-nay/horse. (Nay-nay is also what he calls himself).
  • Reference to Jeff's drill is a high pitched: "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE"

The latest addition to his noise making is when he's asking about his Pa-Paw, Jeff's dad. He thought it was great thing to learn the sign for grandfather. So, he signs it and whispers "Pa-Paw". (I don't know why he whispers it.) Anyway, recently he spent the night at their house and I'm sure he rode some of the great big tractors while he was there because now its: "Pa-Paw brrrrrmmmmm". Every time he sees a tractor, he says it. "Pa-Paw brrmmmmm!"

And just so ya know, yes, he can talk and does, but I think he's just having some fun with this right now. ;)

No comments: