Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

So, today's BLOG ACTION DAY: the day bloggers all write about the environment.

I wanted to do something "profound"; something more than my previous post about going "green". (Although there are lots of great links there for you to check out!) However, with this weekend's events and a funeral Monday, I really haven't had time to put any good thinking time towards it. So, I'm just going to give you what I had as far as "notes to self".

GREEN CLEANING

I have really been wanting to find "green" ways of cleaning. I found a great article about how to clean your house without hurting the planet. These are some of the ideas they have listed on there that I found to be easy ways to change my cleaning habits (and cheap, too!). (I wanted to have tried these out before today arrived, but other things became more important. So, as I try them, I'll let you know...)

  • Fabric can be softened by adding one-quarter cup of baking soda to the wash cycle; this recently worked on several pairs of catalog-bought cargo pants made of a cardboard-stiff cotton that literally scraped a teenager's skin.
  • A quarter cup of white vinegar will also soften fabric, as well as eliminate cling.
  • For cleaning windows, fill your own spray bottle with water and either one-quarter cup white vinegar or one tablespoon lemon juice to cut grease.
LESS JUNK MAIL

I was directed to www.andamom.com by a new blogger friend, Mom Unplugged, and found where I can get rid of the catalog junk mail. For instance, I'm receiving catalogs for the dolls. I have boys that play with trucks and trains. I have no need for that and I don't know why I'm receiving it. I won't anymore! Yipee! Less to just throw out/recycle. (Luckily I have magazine recycling in my area.)

(My previous post on going green gives the link for getting rid of credit card pre-approvals that come in the mail.)


FUN STUFF

Now for the fun stuff... the stuff you don't usually hear about...

I came across a blog written by "Crunchy Chicken". I have really found a disturbing interest in her blog. I say disturbing only because some of the challenges she poses to her readers are, well, "a little out there". Here are two examples:

  • We've all heard of cloth diapers and hand made flannel wipes, right? Well, she takes it a step further and suggests no toilet paper in her Cloth Wipe Challenge! I really had never thought about that. Not ready to try it, yet. I'll wait to see how that challenge ends first. Yes, I'm a wimp. However, I believe the challenge is still underway and you can participate if you like! :::taunting voice::: She's giving prizes! =)
  • Now, let me say this upfront: Men, stop reading here. We're now talking about our "monthly intruder". Crunchy Chicken gave a Diva Cup Challenge. The Diva Cup is a product that eliminates the need for tampons and pads, thus reducing waste in the landfills. (I'm not going into details here, you can read about it on her blog.) Now, for WHATEVER REASON (I don't know) I found this very interesting! It appears to be cleaner and less of a hassle than the standard method of dealing. And then I saw in the Diva Cup Poll that out of 154 participants, 65% of them loved it and will never go back to tampons/pads. That's pretty great odds I must say. So yes, I ordered it. I know, who would have thought?! Anyway, I'll let you know how that goes too. (Yes, I'll post a warning for men, first!)
Those are my thoughts. Nothing profound and only a couple things out of the ordinary . I hope I've given you something to think about anyway (and maybe a few chuckles).

One thing I've learned, though, is that we're all different. What one person can give up another person can't live without (ie I'm not giving up disposable diapers). It's a personal choice about where and how we help the environment. The point is that you need to help. (See my poll to the right for how my readers are already helping.)

One person can make a difference, but guess what, you are not the only person. There are lots of people like you and me making just small changes in our lives for the environment and the future. Our children and grandchildren will thank us for what we do today. Make a change somewhere in your life and let me know what it is. I'd love to hear about it! =)

2 comments:

laurel said...

Hey! Good post. I too, have been following Crunchy Chicken's posts and have wondered about the Diva Cup. Please let me know what you think about it, I may order one too. It is funny, about the family cloth, diva cup, cloth diapers, etc. It seems that when you first hear about it, it seems repulsive, over the top, crazy, etc. But the more you read about it, the less crazy it seems. Maybe if people keep talking about these issues (green issues in general), they will stop seeming so crazy, and more people will jump on board. I will be writing my green post a little later today...I need a little longer to think about my topic. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Hey -- Thanks for the plug! I am going to check out the rest of your site and learn more about you and the three boys in your life!