Friday, October 12, 2007

Moment of Silence

We learned of a passing of a very dear friend of ours in Georgia. He was the preacher at the small congregation where we worshiped. He was an outstanding Christian, teacher, father figure, and just an all around great man. He will be terribly missed, but I know he is much happier in heaven than here on earth in his physical body that caused him so much trouble for so many years (although we never heard him complain).

We have lost a worker for the Lord here on earth, but he has gone for his reward, "Job well done, my good and faithful servant." I can see him in my mind walking, seeing, and hearing perfectly, looking around and saying something along the lines of, "Now this is the ticket!" He loved little sayings like this and he loved being with Christians.

He was a "walking bible". Always eager and READY to teach. This man taught by word, deed, EXAMPLE, and with so much love it radiated from him. He was someone we wanted to emulate as he was striving to be like Jesus. Although we have the Bible to teach us what Jesus was like, it was wonderful to have such a tangible example in our life today of someone striving for heaven within every part of himself.

He is the one person in this life that I can honestly say, "I know he made it to heaven."

Jeff, Witt, and I will be heading to Georgia for a short visit with the family and congregation. Our unplugged adventures will continue after we return as I am not going to ask the boys' Grandmother to keep the tv entirely off.

Please keep the Buchanan family in your prayers for comfort in their time of mourning and for us a safe journey and return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts are with you.

Deb W said...

I was just thinking that Mrs. Buchanan might be proud to have a copy of what you wrote about Preacher Buchanan. (I do not know if she uses a computer and sees your blog or not.) Your words are eloquent and such a wonderful tribute to a great man.