Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Unplugged Adventures

I don't really know which "day" we're on in our week without tv. Unfortunately, we have not been tv free; however, we have not watched tv until about 3 in the afternoon and it's only been a little bit. I'm pleased with that.

Mornings have been less hectic. I don't have to remind Will *quite* so much to get ready, brush teeth, etc. because the tv is not on to distract him. We've played trains or read books before school every day this week. The house is quieter. It's nice.

I even fought the urge to turn the tv on last night to watch House. Jeff and Will were practicing his writing of the letters "H" and "h". I did blog during that time, though. The tv was still off and Will got some extra attention. That was our main goal.

The boys still ask for it in the morning occasionally, but we just say no politely and remind them that we aren't going to turn it on. If they try, it doesn't work because it is truly unplugged, which also means that I have to make a conscious decision to turn it back on.

Overall, I'm pleased with our efforts to keep the tv off. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea to actually physically unplug your TV! I wouldn't have thought of that, but of course they all know what buttons to push to turn it on!

I am so happy that you have seen some benefits simply by reducing the amount of TV.

Good for you! I am going to write a post now about your experience, now that I know you are back.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry you didn't miss House. The baseball game was on ugh!! I like House too.
Kim White

Anonymous said...

There are so many benefits to limited TV. Personally I do not wathc much television as I hope to give the gift to Beatrice. It is good to see you are having such success with it. Keep on pulling the plug.
P.S. Thanks for the comment on my page. It made my day!