Friday, October 5, 2007

Okay, I'm a Nerd

So, last night after the kids were in bed, I'm on the internet checking out Kim Kim's fundraising site (she's made her goal of $2000 already!), checking my email one last time for an update on a close friend in the hospital, and just as I'm about to shut down, I decide to check out Yahoo!Xtra Answers.

There is a question on the main page regarding a math problem and Visual Basic programming. Most of you know that I was an engineer and VB programmer in my former life (B.C. - Before Children as Laurel says). So I check out the question. I grab a piece of paper and a pencil (as all engineers cannot think without the two) and start to work on the question. I give my answer.

I head to bed and tell Jeff, "I miss math". I think it surprised him a bit. "I really do miss the whole thought process of math and programming. The excruciating pain of having to get everything just right and then the absolute triumph and sense of accomplishment when it works!!"

Then I lay my head on the pillow. I continue working on the problem in my head. Then I tell Jeff, "Now I remember why I hate math and programming. You just can't turn your brain off when you are in the middle of it." Sleepless nights of thinking. I remember those days. (My recent sleepless nights are not from thinking!)

As I lay there, I realize the answer I gave was wrong and sure enough this AM there was another answer correcting the one I gave. Oh, well... if you don't use it, you lose it, I suppose.

It was fun having a "glimpse" of my former life for a moment, but I'm happy to be right where I am. Soon enough I'll be helping Will with Algebra and that will be fun! (yes, I'm serious)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't yet visited Meeyauw's blog, you should stop by. She is a math teacher and regularly posts math problems that she encounters. Just click on her search label "mathematics."

http://meeyauw.blogspot.com/

I hope I am not going to make you lose more sleep by directing you there though!

laurel said...

Yes, you are a nerd...but I love you anyway! :)

Deb W said...

Ahhh, while I am not an engineer, I was someone who loved math. Absolutely adored it! Was so into it that I would redo the same statistical problems, just because it was fun to do! Yes, I remember those days fondly, but I would be lost if I opened a statistics book today! Oh well... life moves on!