Monday, October 8, 2007

We've Been BUSY!!!

This past weekend we've really started talking about building a house again. With that comes getting our current house in order. So here's what's going on at our house:

1. Before Witt arrived, Jeff had moved our washer and dryer into another room. That included tearing down the old walls and putting new ones up. So this weekend, Jeff finished the walls and added some paint. Crown molding is next. Looks good, doesn't it?

The picture is the one I plan on hanging in there. It is a print of a chalk drawing. I absolutely adore it. Kids playing marbles. Just simple and innocent!



2. I got the decorating bug and pulled lots of SLAH items out of their boxes. In the kitchen I hung my plate racks that I have been meaning to hang for, ummm... since we moved in. Those are my Gail Pittmann plates and Bountiful Platter.



These are the Poppy Prints and Decorative Wall Art that hang on the opposite wall in the breakfast nook/kitchen area. They've been up for a while. I painted the kitchen to accent these prints. Now I wonder if it's all just too bright... What are your thoughts?



I also hung a horizontal plate rack in the kitchen that will eventually hold 5x7 black and white pictures of each boy from when they were about 3 days old. (The room past this door is something like a butler's pantry. Our fridge and pantry items are in there. It was part of a large dining room, but Will needed a room so we sectioned off part of it for him with a temporary wall. Hard to explain; come visit!)


3. In the living room I decorated the mantel with Fall colors. Those are my Willow Tree figurines in the center - mom with 2 boys and daddy with a baby. My happy little family.


I'm also trying to declutter our bookshelves in the living room. I'm going to need help on this one. What do you know about decorating shelves? I've seen some that look great with books and "pretty things" but I'm not talented that way.



A lot of that stuff on the bottom shelf is up there because...

4. We're getting Pergo installed!!! Something I learned from this experience: always have someone double check the quote. When we went to Lowes to pay for the Pergo, the service man rechecked our quote and said the first guy had done it wrong - we walked out paying $700 less than the original quote! WOW!

You've heard me talk about our terrible carpet. We have blue ink from me, pink chalk from Will, coffee from Jeff (or Nathan depending on who you talk to), and a hodgepodge of other things from everyone. (I didn't include the coffee stain from Deborah in the picture, but she's contributed, too!)



And now...



you'll never see it this clean again...


drum roll, please....




10 comments:

Deb W said...

WOW!!!!
Everything is really shaping up!!!
I am soooo excited for you!
You will love this house once you get it all put together the way you want it!!
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb W said...

By the way, if I am correct, I believe that maybe Jeff, or someone, may have caused my coffee to drop from my cup onto your carpet. I cannot believe that I would have just spilled coffee.... no sir... that is not ME!!! BUT, I have a feeling you have now discarded all the evidence. Therefore, I am denying that it ever happened!!!! LOL...

laurel said...

Aaaaah, so much better! I HATE carpet. Thanks for sharing some corners of your home with us. I love the laundry room, kuddos, Jeff!

Anonymous said...

The floor is wonderful. I bet the boys have fun rolling cars and trucks all over. It sure looks
different.

Ideas: book shelves...
Have maybe 1-3 things on each shelf. Books can lay sideways or upright. It you are looking to sell the house, I was told to remove all family photos. That was hard. Use the shed for storage of whatever.

The kitchen yellow paint is way to bright. Tone is way down, a real soft yellow will be very pretty against the red flowers. It will make them pop...

The washer/dryer room looks great. I am so glad you are using the "marble" picture.

You have us decluttering our house now. We bought another pub table and chairs for the breakfast room and it looks great. Now I need new rugs for the kitchen.
Mom P

Heather K said...

Holy Cow! I can't even...WOW! It looks fantastic! Yeah, Pergo! (Oh, and I think your kitchen is bright-cheerful, not bright-obnoxious.)

Anonymous said...

I have the same color issue in our kitchen. We are going to paint our
kitchen red (burgundy red) I think it would look good with your dining room the color it is. And you have red accents in other places in the house. You could go with a color like the red in your plates that would tie the kitchen and dining room together. I love the things you have in your dining room. I
like for everything to look good together and not just as a room.

The shelves...I am not so good with shelves...I would love to help you but I am just not sure...I can look around though.
Sarah T

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is going well! I love the house! Suggestions for the bookshelves....If it where me I would maybe put a small section of books on each shelf and alternate what side they are on. Then maybe accent it with a picture or two or a candle. I think this is a case were less is best. Or you could even keep the books to the lower shelves and use the top shelves for pictures. I am a picture person, so I have pictures everywhere.
Jennifer R

Lara said...

The floor is beautiful! We had ugly grey carpet in our last house and when we built we put wood floors in every square inch of our house. No more dirty carpets! I love the paint color in your laundry room. I'm all about green! I thought the yellow walls looked fine but maybe it's brighter in real life.

Good job on everything! Don't you hate fixing up a house to move? I can't wait till our house is finished although I don't think any house really ever is. There is always a project to work on!

Lisa said...

Your house looks great! I don't think the kitchen looks too bright at all, I like it with the red in the prints. And the beadboard in your laundry room is very cool!
Thanks for visiting my blog today.
I wish I had bookshelves like yours, if I did I would paint the back a contrasting color, maybe chocolate brown or a pretty dark blue. Then I would buy those little halogen puck lights and light them from the top or perhaps even a clip-on picture lite would lite up the accesories and the entire front of the bookcase really nicely. You could mix books, framed photos and a few accessories and it would look really great. I can see it in my head, can you tell? ;)

Becka said...

I think that the lovliest thing on bookshelves are....BOOKS. Yummy delicious books. can never have too many.

And I love the floor. In fact dh and I are row 5 of 18 rows in our dining room.